I Heart My Daughter.

As soon as I found out I was pregnant I knew it was a girl. Before I even found out I was preggers I should have known something was up since I LOVE chocolate but wanted things that were lemony instead. Me pass up chocolate?…never. I was craving citrus and all things fruity. My mom even told me that’s what she craved when she was pregnant with me so I was convinced it was a girl.

Then when I was about 4 months along I started craving beef and horror movies. That’s when I thought maybe I was wrong and I was having a boy instead. So when my hubby and I went for my 20 week ultrasound, we couldn’t wait to find out what we were having. But alas the little babe was being shy so we had to wait another 4 looong weeks to find out the sex. At this point I was going against my instinct by thinking it was definitely a boy.

When I look back though, I think a lot of it had to do with the whole men want a son to do all those manly man things with. I’m not saying all men think like that, but it kinda sorta seems that way. In my hormonal thinking, I was worried that my hubby wouldn’t care about our baby as much or be as enthusiastic if it was a girl. So when we found out that yes we were having a girl, and I should never doubt my instincts, I remember holding my breath just waiting for my hubby’s reaction. He seemed fine with the revelation although in the back of my mind I was still worried.

Then our daughter was born and, WOW, she has him wrapped around her finger. I couldn’t ask for a better father to my daughter. Growing up I watched my stepdad be an armchair dad. He would always bark orders at my mom from his lazy boy chair when it came to dealing with my little sister…and everything else for that matter. But my hubby is so hands on with our little girl and she just adores him. Since I didn’t have the best experiences and that’s an understatement with my biological dad or stepdad, I feel like my heart is finally on the mend when I see my hubby with our beautiful little girl.

The little girl.

9 Responses to I Heart My Daughter.

1. Peggy Brister July 3, 2010 at 16:38 #

Daddys girls. Always. Mommas boys & daddys girls. That’s how it worked out with my youngest 2.

• Elle July 3, 2010 at 21:55 #

She sure is Daddy’s girl. During the week she clings to me but when he’s home from work, I’m chopped liver. lol

2. nic @mybottlesup July 5, 2010 at 11:34 #

she is beautiful… and i totally want to high-five my laptop right now, right back at her.

• Elle July 5, 2010 at 12:23 #

She loves to give high fives but only on her terms of course. When we ask her to give them to other people, I swear you can hear crickets. And then we end up being the crazy parents that say their child can do something but they don’t.

3. Jennifer July 8, 2010 at 10:04 #

Your daughter is a cutie! I myself have a 6 month old, and she has got both me and her daddy wrapped around her tiny little fingers. Its amazing what these little girls do to us!

• Elle July 8, 2010 at 13:12 #

Thank you! Your daughter is adorable and I love your post on “family get-togethers, a necessary pain”. So true and like you said, worth it!

4. Amber July 11, 2010 at 21:55 #

Oh my she’s so cute! It looks like we’re on the same schedule with our daughters too 🙂 While mine was actually born in Feb, she was due in April, so her corrected age is the same as your girl’s real age…god that was long winded 😛

BTW, your heart is on the mend with regards to your father issues…and mine might actually be mending from my own mother issues. Funny how parenthood can fix some messes from our pasts.

• Elle July 11, 2010 at 22:22 #

I hope my daughter won’t have any of these issues to mend. I wish I could just put her in a bubble, but sadly she’d probably just pop it with her constant chewing and biting. 🙂

• Amber July 11, 2010 at 22:27 #

I don’t know if our parents’ generation had the ability to question their roles as often as ours does. I think, as least for me, being able to commiserate with so many other moms online has helped me learn how to be honest with myself…and admitting our fears can help us stop repeating the mistakes of our past 🙂