Who Is This Tiny Person Living With Us and What Has She Done With My Baby Girl?

For the past couple of months, my little girl has become more challenging different. At 17 months old she throws things in frustration, slaps my hand away, and scrunches up her face among other things. It’s kind of like watching the Incredible Hulk’s transformation, except she doesn’t turn green. I’m not sure if I should stand there and watch or run away while screaming.

She has started to throw tantrums which I’m sure are mild compared to how they’ll be as she gets older. When we take something away from her like the remote, something she picked up off of the floor that we can’t identify, or a Chinese throwing star (ya know the usual) then she goes ballistic and it sounds like we’re torturing her.

When we’re at home and it happens, it pulls at my heartstrings, but I try to stand firm with her. But when it happens in public, I worry that people are thinking we are those awful parents who can’t control their child. If I have to run to the store for milk and my daughter has a meltdown, I can’t just go back home. That’s how I thought I would handle a situation like that before I had my daughter. There’s a laundry list of ways I thought I would handle things before I had a child. Since I’ve become a mom, I’ve done a 180.

It takes so much just to leave the house with her because of scheduling around nap time and meals. I can’t go to the store for something we really need only to leave before we get it just because she’s whining loudly or making a noise only dogs can hear. We get stares and people roll their eyes at us and normally that would bother me but I’m too distracted to care anymore.

Before I had my daughter I would get mildly annoyed if I was out somewhere and a child was acting up. Now I sympathize with the parents and give them the “Yep, been there, done that, so sorry” look.

*We don’t really have Chinese throwing stars lying around the house. We only keep them in the kitchen utility drawer. heh

8 Responses to Who Is This Tiny Person Living With Us and What Has She Done With My Baby Girl?

1. lisa September 14, 2010 at 06:17 #

oh how I remember those days! I had 2 lil’ ones the first time around and there are some days now that I think “how did I do it?” 🙂

My mantra every day with every difficult phase of growing up- (and I’m still doing it- because really they don’t get easier, the phases simply change…)is that they won’t (hopefully) go off to college doing this- they will eventually grow out of it! 😛

motherhood really does kick our a** sometimes!!
    but I wouldn’t trade it for anything!!!

• Elle September 14, 2010 at 10:49 #

I couldn’t even imagine 2 at once. I hope you had help. I’m still trying to find balance when it comes to being a mom. When I was very pregnant with my daughter, I had this feeling that if I got pregnant again I would have twins but didn’t tell the hubby so I wouldn’t freak him out. My hubby felt the same way but didn’t tell me until later on because he didn’t want to freak me out. lol

My luck, my MIL would come out to help (read: make things more difficult). She insisted on coming out to stay with us for 2 months after the little girl was born, we said uh…no thanks. 🙂

• lisa September 14, 2010 at 11:01 #

ok- I’m laughing my a** off! My MIL DID come to help because stupidly we decided at 7 mths pregnant to move 2 MILES FROM HER HOUSE!!! Oh, the stories I could tell! 🙂 She really was NO help- and caused more headaches with her stupid things she’d do…she’s very “book smart” but no commonsense. She would come up with ideas like to try to give the babies ice when they were 4 months old to help their teething…uh- can you say “choking hazard”!?? The lists could go on and on…

Are you thinking of having another? Funny about the twins thought you and your hubby had…an hour before our first ultrasound somebody at my job said “I’ll bet it’s twins!” Yep, he was right!
        Actually, I didn’t have any help…that’s the downside of thinking you’re “supermom”- have great difficulty accepting ANY help from others- figured since I was a nanny for so long I could handle it. Yeah, I look back now and think “what was I thinking???”

• Elle September 14, 2010 at 18:44 #

Just so you know I emailed you. 🙂

2. waj306 September 15, 2010 at 08:03 #

Okay, it seems so cliche but they truly do grow so freakin fast! I mean, I really feel like it has flown by (and gone SO slow at times).
    It’s funny how things we used to think but now as the mom we’re like whatever, or how it changes so much! Like letting them ‘run around’ restaurants. If you’re by my table, go for it girl!
    Good thing your MIL didn’t come!!!!! I’m glad for you reading that even now, how many months later? Lol.

• Elle September 15, 2010 at 11:14 #

So true. Sometimes the days seem to drag on and on but then I’ll look at my daughter and think “When did she get so big?”

Yep, if my MIL came I’d probably need a lawyer for the damage I would have done to her. Kidding…not really. lol I love how she just invites herself instead of asking. The in-laws are still wanting to visit us asap but I’m still upset with the way she treated my niece. I have a feeling they’re going to get their way though. ugh!

3. Ameena September 15, 2010 at 10:04 #

I’m not an expert but I have survived 5 years of motherhood and so here is what I did – the minute my kid started acting up when we were outside I warned her that we were going to go straight home. If she kept it up then we went home. After a couple of times she realized that I meant business and she knocked it off!

Just remember it does get easier eventually! I’m sort of still waiting but that’s what I hear. 🙂

• Elle September 15, 2010 at 10:55 #

That sounds like a good idea. 🙂 My little girl is pretty well behaved and very observant (quiet) most of the time when we go out but she does have her moments. I think that’s why when she has tantrums I’m so thrown off.