Don’t Fret, It’s Music Monday! Rick Springfield

Rick Springfield – Love Somebody

When I was 6 years old, I had two big loves of my life; The Smurfs and Rick Springfield. Oh wait, there were 99 smurfs. So when I was 6 years old, there were 100 big loves…..wait. I could. not. stand. Brainy Smurf. Let’s try this one last time. When I was 6 years old there were 99 big loves of my life, The Smurfs minus Brainy and Rick Springfield.

For my 7th birthday I got my very own tape recorder (yes, I’m old) that my mom let me open early. I also saw that among the other gifts was one I was certain was a cassette tape (yep, old as the hills). I was also certain that it was Rick Springfield’s Working Class Dog cassette tape.

I had some friends over for my birthday slumber party and I was picturing my friends and I dancing the night away to Rick Springfield. Finally when I unwrapped the cassette tape it was….The Smurfs. I pretended to be excited when I put in my new cassette tape of smurfs singing since I didn’t want to hurt my parents feelings. Smurfs singing since, say that five times fast.

Not long after, I got my tape of Rick Springfield (all of them eventually) and would listen to him constantly. He was smurfilicious!

I didn’t realize until I was older that his songs could be…ahem…quite suggestive for someone so young although I never gave it any thought because I was so young.

I think adults can forget the innocence that children have and how they see things in such a different way. I hope I keep that in mind when it comes to my daughter.

I go from The Smurfs and Rick Springfield to deep thoughts, my mind is always scattering about. Let’s see some more Rick Springfield.

Have a great week everyone!

Rick Springfield – What Kind of Fool Am I

Rick Springfield – I Get Excited. I had to put this video up because this was taken just last year and damn, the man is still hot…at 61! I actually had to check several online sources because I couldn’t believe he was born in 1949.

Then to my husband’s dismay I spent the next 15 minutes repeatedly saying that I can’t believe he’s that old and his date of birth must be a typo. This man is a freak of nature. And look at those arms, whoo! Enjoy Lisa!

*When we were coming back from the grocery store Saturday night, they played Jessie’s Girl on the radio. I think my hubby is starting to regain his hearing from me screaming in excitement.

**I decided to change the look of my blog. I’m thinking of revamping it completely since I’m still not happy with the way it looks.

Update: I had to add a few more Rick Springfield videos because it’s Rick Springfield!!!

Rick Springfield – Jessie’s Girl….Obviously 🙂 I was going to leave this one out, not because I don’t like it, just that it was so overplayed, but it’s Rick Springfield day!! And I’ve already had too much coffee.

Rick Springfield – Don’t Talk To Strangers

Rick Springfield – Hit Scene 1972 – I wasn’t even born yet. This isn’t a music video but I had to put this up also. I always forget he’s Australian and this mama LOVES accents.

A  little trivia, his last name is actually Springthorpe. Rick Springthorpe just doesn’t have the same ring to it. It sounds like a name from that show Dynasty. *Disclaimer: If your last name is Springthorpe, it’s a perfectly respectable name. I was just sayin’. Aaand no more coffee for me.

12 Responses to Don’t Fret, It’s Music Monday! Rick Springfield

1. Lisa September 20, 2010 at 06:19 #

YEAH!!!! Thanks so much, Elle!!!! 🙂 This is the BEST way to start my Monday….

I forgot that he was 61!! In my mind he will forever be 30- and I will forever be that 11 year old girl madly in love with him!! There’s just something about him that makes my heart go pitter patter!!

Now I’m totally regretting not going to see him this past August… 🙁

ps….like the new look!

• Elle September 20, 2010 at 10:26 #

You missed Rick Springfield last August?! Oy! I would love to see him, never got a chance to when I was younger since we lived in the middle of nowhere. I have to say I watched the videos a few (read: several) times last night. 🙂

2. Lisa September 20, 2010 at 06:32 #

okay- after watching the videos AGAIN! I must say I miss those days of cheesy videos on MTV!! 🙂

AND I so wanna watch “Hard To Hold” again! I wonder if I could find it on DVD? hmmmm???

• Elle September 20, 2010 at 10:30 #

I know! I miss those videos too. The part in the video What Kind Of Fool Am I when they were floating in outer space made me lol.

I LOVED that movie Hard To Hold and watched it over and over. You can get it on Netflix. 😉

3. lisa September 20, 2010 at 09:30 #

I think you updated since my last visit…I agree with you about Jessies Girl…my least fave simply for the overkill!

just realized…one of my first born babes are named after his GH character….always loved him on that soap and then ER’s Noah Wyle…just never put 2 and 2 together….probably shouldn’t tell my hubs that!! 😛
    hee hee…

• Elle September 20, 2010 at 10:37 #

I decided to update when I started singing Jessie’s Girl. I have an awful singing voice so my poor daughter had to endure it. When I played some of the videos while she was eating breakfast, she was clapping along. That’s my girl! Now I have to go look up those character names. 🙂

4. lisa September 20, 2010 at 09:34 #

ok…this is my last stalking reply…promise! just watched that last video…have never seen him like that!! Thanks for finding that!

What a head of hair that man has??!!! Wow….looooovvve the accent!

Next up should be Keith Urban…he’s my newest love…maybe I’ll do a post on that one! 🙂

• Elle September 20, 2010 at 10:34 #

Lol on the stalking. You should do a post with K.U., your own Music Monday. I love doing them and it brings back so many memories. Plus you have an excuse to watch all those music videos for “research”. 😉

5. Jennifer G. September 20, 2010 at 11:10 #

Totally can’t believe he’s 61. Rick rules! But wait, was he really on GH? How did I not know that?

• Elle September 20, 2010 at 11:46 #

I always forget that he was on GH. My parents refused to get cable so we only had 2 channels when I was younger and GH wasn’t on either. I was deprived, sniff. lol I don’t think I’ve ever seen a hotter 61 year old man, still can’t believe it. 🙂

6. Lynn September 21, 2010 at 05:05 #

Hi, fellow Rick fan here! That is not a typo………..the man was born in 49. Amazing, huh? Anyway, just wanted to say to check out his tour schedule on rickspringfield.com and if you have a chance to see him, GO! He’s still touring quite a bit and puts on a great show.
    And in case you missed it while researching…..he’s got an autobiography coming out on Oct 12 if you’re interested in checking it out.
    I’d love for you to stop by my blog and say hi. I actually did a post that included Rick recently. Have a great day!

• Elle September 21, 2010 at 08:49 #

I still can’t believe he was born then. 🙂 I read that he had a book coming out, can’t wait for it! I have to check out your blog and see your Rick post.

Update:
      Oh wow! Is that you with Rick in the photo? I would die, but I would die very happy!