Writer’s Workshop: When Babysitting, Make Sure To Change The Channel.

I’m linking up with Mama Kat’s Writer’s Workshop this week and one of her writing prompts that caught my eye was a memorable babysitting job.

When I was 15 my dad knew a woman who was in a jam and needed a babysitter at the last minute. With the exception of my younger sister, I never did any babysitting but said sure. The woman had a 4-year-old daughter and dropped her off early one night. She was going out for a girls night with a friend who was also with her.

The mom was only going to be gone a few hours and the little girl seemed pretty mellow…at first. The mom and I chatted for a bit before she left. She was telling me that she needs to find a babysitter for the weekends and would like for me to take on the job if I wanted. I told her I would love to accept the job. Before she came over, I had been watching television and left it on while babysitting. She told me that it would be fine if her daughter wanted to watch some television while she was out.

After the mom left with her friend, the little girl, although very sweet, became a tornado as she ran through the house. Babysitting when you’re 15 is the perfect birth control. I spent the whole time racing around the house trying to keep up with a 4-year-old, never paying attention to what was on television.

Finally I found something to distract the little one. We were playing dress up in my bedroom and I was able to sit down for a bit to catch my breath while she danced around my bedroom and tried on my clothes. I heard a knock on the front door and raced to open it, knowing it was the mom. That’s when I heard screams coming from the television. No, not those kind of screams. The kind where a crazy psychopath is chasing down some girl with a chainsaw kind of screams.

I had been oblivious to what was on television as the little girl kept me busy and we had been at the back of the house most of the time. I was mortified, the mom looked like she wanted to chase me down with a chainsaw, and her friend was in disbelief. Can you say Awkward?!

I was fumbling my words, trying to stress the fact that we never did watch television and we’re in my bedroom most of the time playing dress up. Like she really believed me. ha! So we were standing there in silence except for the screams and murder by chainsaw sounds coming from the television.

The mom was pretty much speechless, scooped up her daughter and gave me a quick goodbye as she and her friend left the house. Surprisingly, I never heard from her again. Hmmm….I wonder why? 😉

25 Responses to Writer’s Workshop: When Babysitting, Make Sure To Change The Channel.

1. hisbell October 14, 2010 at 00:24 #

Hmm… don’t know why? LOL Ugh… parents! they are SO uptight!

2. mjrodriguez October 14, 2010 at 02:41 #

cool post!

personally, i’ve never done a babysitting job in my life but it sounds kinda hectic. i’ll probably only offer my services as a babysitter to my kids. 🙂

3. Tanya October 14, 2010 at 03:26 #

Great post! We choose the same prompt. I like your line about perfect birth control. My older daughter and son always say that about their little sister, and she is actually very good! Stopping by from Mama Kat’s.

4. Dominique @Dominique's Desk October 14, 2010 at 03:36 #

Babysitting is not really popular here… I know how difficult a job it can be especially when you have 40 to take care of on a daily basis at work.(school)

5. Dumb Mom October 14, 2010 at 04:33 #

I was sort of an awesome babysitter when I was younger, and you actually sound like you were too. You should have just told the mom that you were showing her daughter what was gonna happen to her if she didn’t calm down! I mean, your job was already in the toilet at that point anyway:)

• Elle October 14, 2010 at 08:29 #

That’s so funny! 😉

6. Paula Kiger October 14, 2010 at 04:58 #

Good morning! I really enjoyed your post, chainsaw and all. Judging by the various responses to the “babysitter prompt” on Mama Kat, most of our babysitting jobs involved children who behaved like pinballs being flippered all over the place!! (Maybe those were just the memorable ones.) I once had a “regular” babysitting client stop calling me. I couldn’t remember anything big that had happened, but it was right after the kids (who were very good) did the “homemade perfume” craft. Somehow I always associated the discontinuation of the relationship with the perfume thing. Who knows?! Anyway, I enjoyed your post and I think your daughter is beyond adorable!

• Elle October 14, 2010 at 08:33 #

Thanks! Homemade perfume…hmmm…did they get it all over? 🙂

7. Diane October 14, 2010 at 05:57 #

Aww…You got a bum rap with that one! You have a funny story to tell though. 😉

8. Mariposa @ A Stranger in this Land October 14, 2010 at 06:07 #

Oh, how embarrassing! lol

9. Mandi October 14, 2010 at 09:48 #

That is too funny. Yeah, when you first said screams… the screams I were picturing were not those! Could have been worse there lady 😉

10. JustMom420zaks October 14, 2010 at 09:54 #

I’m with Mandy, could have been much worse! Somebody in a previous post’s comments wondered how we all grew up to be pretty good moms, when we were obviously pretty bad babysitters.
    You, at least, only APPEARED to be a bad babysitter. Lucky you!
    This post totally made me laugh!

11. Heather October 14, 2010 at 11:27 #

That was too funny, I can just imagine what kind of things were running through her mind.

12. Scargosun October 14, 2010 at 12:26 #

He he he! Too funny! I can totally picture the awkward silence. 🙂

13. Janice October 14, 2010 at 14:32 #

This is so funny! I’ve never left my kids to a babysitter, but if that happened to me, I would have ran out of the house with my children too! Was that your first babysitting job?

P.S. Why don’t you have RSS subcription? I wanted to subscribe to your blog and add you to my google reader.

• Elle October 14, 2010 at 16:22 #

It was my first and last babysitting job. 🙂 I changed blog themes last month and didn’t realize the RSS subscription didn’t transfer. I think I fixed the problem but if not let me know.

14. Erin October 14, 2010 at 16:32 #

that is comedy! I would have called her and said “I’m free this weekend if you need a sitter” haha

• Elle October 14, 2010 at 16:51 #

That would’ve been funny!

15. Jannica October 14, 2010 at 16:34 #

I LOVE IT! Because outside of falling asleep on the job, I would totally be in that situation! Incidently I can sleep through anything, EVEN my kids screaming. My husband loves it…

• Elle October 14, 2010 at 16:52 #

You’re so lucky. If I could only sleep through my hubby’s loud snoring… 🙂

16. Kara October 14, 2010 at 19:56 #

I guess that’s a good strategy to keep in mind when my brother asks me to watch his crazy kids……….wait, no that wouldn’t work. I’m pretty sure that’s what they watch anyway. Oh well, thanks for the story. 🙂

17. Christine October 15, 2010 at 10:06 #

Too funny!! I needed that giggle.

18. HeidiB October 15, 2010 at 13:25 #

HAHA oh my that so sounds like something that would happen to me! =)

19. Kayla March 11, 2015 at 15:37 #

So funny! Great post. I never went for the baby sitting jobs but I think every teenager should because as you say its the greatest birth control!