Don’t Fret, It’s Music Sunday! Glen Hansard

*I’m moving Music Monday to Sunday. I would like to concentrate more on writing during the week. I thought of giving up playing music on my blog but that only lasted a few seconds. 🙂

Glen Hansard – What Happens When The Heart Just Stops

Since I was young I have loved all things Irish and hope to go to Ireland someday. Several years ago I discovered an Irish musician that is still one of my favorites, Damien Rice. One of the times my hubby and I went to see him in concert, he had an opening act called the Swell Season (Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova). The music they played that night was so beautiful and the stories Glen told were captivating.

I hadn’t heard of them before but they seemed awfully familiar. I later found out they were promoting their movie Once (which is excellent). I saw the movie trailer before that night and really wanted to see the film. Looking back I thought it was funny because during their set they never mentioned the movie.

I don’t want to come off as some “music snob” but I really gravitate towards true musicians that just need a guitar and/or their voice. Don’t get me wrong, I love pop songs, but I really love musicians that don’t use autotune and who don’t need to lip-synch. 😉

Glen Hansard is one of those musicians and his music is so pure and true. When he sings, I can feel the emotion and know this is what he was put on this earth to do. He is also in the Irish band The Frames, who I love, and was in another movie, The Commitments, back in the 90’s.

I will never forget when Glen and Marketa won an Oscar for the song Falling Slowly. It was such a great moment for two very deserving musicians.

I hope everyone has a great week!

Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova- Falling Slowly

The Frames – Finally

6 Responses to Don’t Fret, It’s Music Sunday! Glen Hansard

1. lisa October 17, 2010 at 18:53 #

ok elle…I can’t tell you how weird this is…just one more reason to add to my list of why I like you!! 🙂 I loved the movie “Once” and love the soundtrack…and just yesterday I started listening to it again after a couple of months off of it!

AND- Ireland is my next dream vacation…I’ve been starting to consider making plans for ’12 or ’13 to be the year to go! Have you ever watched “P.S. I love you?” Love that movie for the Ireland scenes…and Gerard Butler! mmmm… 😛

(sorry I’ve been absent this week…kinda strange week…still thinking of quitting my blog…we’ll see.)

• Elle October 17, 2010 at 20:09 #

That’s too weird. 😉 Haven’t seen P.S. I love you but just got Leap Year from Netflix since the movie is based in Ireland. The Once soundtrack is something I still listen to often. I can’t get enough.

I love your blog and hope you reconsider. If anything, just do photography on your blog like you’ve mentioned before. I think it’s normal to want to quit blogging. I’m still like that at least once a week. But then I can’t imagine not doing this anymore. Even if only a few people read it. 🙂

2. misslexywoo October 18, 2010 at 02:12 #

Hey honey, my other half is from Dublin and we always said that unplayed piano would be the song we have as our wedding dance. it just reminds me of the first time we ever went out. and for month afterwards we would lie in bed listening to him and chatting away. lovely memories.
    Once is a film i have been made to watch so many times so although i loved it at first now i am sick to death of it. haha he is irish and proud!!!
    another great post xx

• Elle October 18, 2010 at 03:32 #

I LOVE Unplayed Piano! I’ve never known of anyone else who knows Damien songs. 🙂 Well except for my hubby but I play them so much that he can’t help but know them. 😉

I think those memories you have are very sweet! When Damien Rice’s O came out years ago, I would play it and my hubby and I would cuddle up and talk about all kinds of things. No really, we would just cuddle. We had already been married for several years by then so it wasn’t like we were doing any hanky panky. 🙂 That cd holds a special place for me.

3. misslexywoo October 18, 2010 at 02:14 #

Dont you dare quit!!! id miss it!!! :0)

And when you come to ireland we have to meet!! we are hopefully moving over v soon to be nearer the inlaws xx

• Elle October 18, 2010 at 03:54 #

Moving to Ireland would be so exciting. I would move there in a second if I could. Maybe someday…..