House Of Quirks, Ghosts, And A Crazy Amount Of Light Switches.

We moved into our new house at the beginning of September and we love it here. I can’t even believe we dealt with our previous house of horrors for a few weeks back in August. While our new house has been great, it does have some quirks, not including me and the hubby.

Our bedroom is right on top of the garage. Two days during the week my hubby has to be at work before 7 am. Usually my daughter gets up between 6:45-7 am and sits in her crib playing for a little while before telling me to get my ass out of bed by screaming at the top of her lungs.

Every minute of sleep I can get is precious to me, especially since I have insomnia and I’m usually up pretty late. I really dread the days that my husband leaves for work so early. I’ll be sleeping peacefully and then I’m jolted awake to what can only be described as a jet plane flying underneath the bedroom when the garage door opens. Not only that, I can feel the room rumble and vibrate. Talk about a rude awakening.

Another thing my husband and I find amusing is the amount of light switches we have in our house. We don’t even know what half of them are for. Our bedroom has a two panel light switch and we have no idea what the other switch does. I’ve thought how funny it would be if every time we turn it on and off someone’s television in the neighborhood goes off or their garage door opens.

It took me a month to find the bedroom closet light. Common sense would have it be right next to the door but I was hunting all around inside the closet thinking it was there since I didn’t see it outside of the door. Then I thought the extra switch we have in the bedroom turned on the closet light. Finally I found it behind the television in our bedroom, nearly three feet away from the closet. Wha?

The switch we have for our garbage disposal is way off to the side of the kitchen sink on the wall and it’s impossible to lean that far, unless your six feet tall and have the flexibility of Gumby. So I have to turn on the water in the kitchen sink, walk around the kitchen counter and lean over to switch it on.

The laundry room has four switches, two each by the door to the laundry room and by the garage door. It literally takes only a few steps to walk from the laundry room door to the garage door, yet there’s a light for the laundry room placed by each door.

The creepy thing about the house is that we have two ghosts. You might not believe in that sort of thing but I’ve had too many experiences that have convinced me that they exist. I feel like the two are a couple, a man and a woman. From the mental images I’ve gotten, they seem like they’re from the late 1800’s.

My husband doesn’t believe in ghosts but when I mentioned this to him he said there used to be a hotel on this land back in the late 1800’s. He couldn’t help but look a little freaked out. That’s when I told him “See, I’m not a crazy person”, well not all the time.

He said that it could just be subconscious because right before we moved in, I was with him when he was talking to some guy about how our house is where an old hotel used to be. I honestly don’t remember this at all and was probably chasing my daughter around. But isn’t that adorable? My hubby actually thinks I listen when he talks…awww. 😉

I’ve named the ghostly couple John and Sara since that’s what I get from them. Sara doesn’t seem too happy about us being here and I feel like I’m being stared at a lot. What’s creepy is our stairs go right outside our bedroom and sometimes I feel like she’s staring into the bedroom from above the banister.

It doesn’t help that sometimes our cat will be laying on the bed and then she’ll start acting weird and look towards the bedroom door. Of course acting weird is the cat’s specialty. So now I keep the door closed halfway at night and I dread when I have to go downstairs into the kitchen to get water.

Another creepy thing is at night when my daughter is asleep, I’ve watched her on the baby monitor and see light strobes flash across the screen. I’m not talking about one or two light strobes either. There will be several over by her crib. It’s like something out of Poltergeist.

Maybe I can ask Sara what all of these light switches are for.

13 Responses to House Of Quirks, Ghosts, And A Crazy Amount Of Light Switches.

1. Mandi October 28, 2010 at 11:59 #

The amount of light switches in your house sounds like mine!! We have quite a few that I’m pretty sure don’t do a darn thing.
    This? ‘But isn’t that adorable? My hubby actually thinks I listen when he talks…awww.’ Totally made me laugh out loud!!!

• Elle October 28, 2010 at 12:27 #

After I posted this, I walked into the bedroom and saw there was a light switch outside the door that I’ve never seen before now. It’s like they just pop up out of nowhere.

Saw my hubby reading my blog last night which is fine. I know he knows that I know he knows. Lol. If my hubs is reading this then I totally listen to him when he talks (not really). 😀

2. themrs October 28, 2010 at 13:53 #

i heart you.

3. lisa October 28, 2010 at 19:33 #

omg elle! i hope you are only kidding about these ghosts!!! (you are, right???)
    if no- then I would be moving the hell outta there! yikes!!

as for light switches- our home is 90 yrs old and we have several still unknown light switches that do nothing. I’ve had the same thought as you about if it makes our neighbors garage work…hee hee! Oh if that were true, what fun I would have!

in regards to your twitter statement- the wiggles were huge in our home!
    i had a crush on greg ….i know- pathetic! 🙂 i think it’s the aussie accent…

• Elle October 29, 2010 at 01:32 #

My daughter and I watch Sesame Street almost every day and The Wiggles come on right after. I would always turn it off but a few weeks ago I left it on, you can’t interrupt a tickle-fest.

Then I heard Aussie accents and I was like Hello Mate! Never knew they were Australian. I also love that it’s very musical since I’m such a music freak. If Greg is the one in the yellow shirt, then yeah, I know what you mean. lol

Yep, there are ghosts in the house. But they don’t mess with us and I’m used to sensing these things. I know a lot of people don’t believe in that sort of thing. I have had so many experiences with it. But I know I’ll sound even crazier if I tell you.

I think the builders were smoking something special when they installed the light switches.

4. Belinda October 29, 2010 at 01:18 #

This post is perfect for Halloween. Have you tried taking pictures and seeing if any orbs appear?

Fun post.

• Elle October 29, 2010 at 01:51 #

We haven’t done that here yet. In our last place I did and there were orbs in some pics but the hubby would say it was dust or shadows. He isn’t convinced after all these years he’s been with me. I can’t believe he still hasn’t learned to just agree with me. 🙂

Our last place also had cold spots but my hubs is very scientific. Even though I thought there was a ghost there too, he would give me a long explanation about how central air worked. 😉

5. Colleen October 29, 2010 at 17:13 #

Your new house sounds awesome.
    There is something to be said for eccentric light switches, they give character. Ghosts must keep things interesting. I love your comment about your husband’s explanation of cold spots being central air related. Love it!

6. Mammywoo November 2, 2010 at 14:19 #

Omg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Erm I’d move. Just saying!!!
    Things like that terrify me! Lol

7. Jill @ Mormon Surrogate November 2, 2010 at 17:46 #

Wow- I don’t know if I could handle that. Creepy! I love watching stuff like that on tv- but to live it.. ack!

Good luck to you!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Hubby: I don’t know why you’re so tired. I let you sleep in. Me: *laughs hysterically* | This Is Mommyhood - January 31, 2011

[…] finally get settled and cozy in bed and wait for him to leave since our garage is right below the bedroom and it sounds like a jet rumbling through the bedroom when it’s […]

2. Things that go bump in the night. | This Is Mommyhood - April 13, 2012

[…] My husband doesn’t believe in ghosts or hauntings unlike me. The house we currently live in has two ghosts.   […]