Six Word Fridays: Change

*I was going to skip this week since I kept coming back to this particular situation when writing. Then I decided to post it anyway.

A Change For The Better:

I’ve been with you too long.

Lacking self-esteem, little self-worth.

Have the bruises to prove it.

Rarely even see my family anymore.

I’ve tried to leave many times.

I keep coming back to you.

Promises of change, no more hurt.

It still continues. I’m losing myself.

Couldn’t understand why people would stay.

Never thought I would be here.

I love you but I don’t.

Final straw, had enough, I leave.

I surprise myself and stay away.

Meet a great guy like no other.

We marry just five months later.

That was over fifteen years ago.

Sometimes I still think about you, unfortunately.

Worry about women who don’t know.

But my husband was a change

for the better. Taught me love.

Helped my heart heal from you.

Go to Making Things Up for more six word fridays.

18 Responses to Six Word Fridays: Change

1. Belinda November 5, 2010 at 03:08 #

So good. Glad you went ahead and posted this. Sometimes, printing ghosts in black and white help exhume them.

Like the rainbow button to the right. Wish we’d all wear it as a badge. Believe it or not, even in SF, there’s homophobia.

2. Molly@Postcards from a Peaceful Divorce November 5, 2010 at 03:32 #

I’m glad that you shared this with us. I agree with Belinda that it can be so healing to write. Or at least it helps you process.

This poem is very touching and it’s going to stick with me today. Thanks.

3. melgallant November 5, 2010 at 05:51 #

You are so strong and brave for leaving that toxic relationship and for sharing this experience. It’s important to share these stories so that others in similar situations know there is a way out; they are stronger than they realize.

4. Cassandra November 5, 2010 at 06:28 #

Wow! I almost didn’t read this and sooooooo glad I did. Brought me to tears, this was me and almost fifteen years ago also. Thanks for the courage to post it and help me with some closure. My favorite pastor always says your biggest hurt is your strongest ministry. I have been thinking of volunteering at a womens shelter.

• Elle November 5, 2010 at 11:05 #

I volunteered at a women’s shelter several years ago when I lived in Seattle. It was more difficult than I thought it would be, especially when a woman would end up going back into a relationship. But I also loved seeing the changes in these women.

• Cassandra November 6, 2010 at 04:58 #

That is what has kept me from doing it so far. But I still have that need to give back, if I had someone in my corner who understood like only someone who has been through that can, I might have been strong enough to leave sooner. Thanks again for sharing.

5. Heather Caliri November 5, 2010 at 07:06 #

What a lovely, redemptive story’s end,
    Even without a perfectly clean break.

6. iseeyoulookingatme November 5, 2010 at 07:21 #

Wow, I was scared at first, but then it turned out so good! Thanks for posting. You have made me think and rejoice with you, what a good man you have now!!!

7. 2bdancing November 5, 2010 at 08:08 #

usually the best ones are the ones we don’t want to write. Thank you for sharing this.

8. Annie @ PhD in Parenting November 5, 2010 at 09:55 #

Amazing post.

9. melissa November 5, 2010 at 13:05 #

I’m cheering for you over here!
    So glad you decided to share.
    And so glad for your Now.

10. Amy @ Never-True Tales November 5, 2010 at 14:39 #

I think none of us know how hard it truly would be to leave like that unless we had to. It’s easy to say ‘go!’ until it’s you. Glad you found someone who deserves you!

11. Sara November 5, 2010 at 15:57 #

And a voice rang strong and
    True. Empowered. Confident. Thanks for sharing.

12. lisa November 5, 2010 at 16:18 #

so brave of you to share-
    even more powerful that you left.
    so happy that you found love-
    and moved onto a better chapter.
    you are giving hope to others!
    happier than six words can express…
    for you, your hubby and daughter! 🙂

• Elle November 5, 2010 at 16:47 #

Thanks, Lisa! You really should join in for six word fridays on your blog. I know you’ve done it one or two times. You’re so good at it! 🙂

13. Juliana November 6, 2010 at 06:35 #

I think you never really forget those hard times in our lives…and it sounds like you’ve used those memories for good. Thanks for sharing.

14. VirginiaNative1689 November 6, 2010 at 16:08 #

Forgive me, but what’s the premise behind “Six Word Fridays”? I’ve heard of “Five Question Fridays,” but not this. I’m just trying to figure out how this works. Thanks!

• Elle November 7, 2010 at 01:43 #

I just emailed you the information. 🙂