It started off innocent enough. My husband, daughter, and I went to a commissary for groceries at a nearby base on Saturday. Before we went inside the store, my hubby was getting a pack of water and asked me what brand I wanted. We use reusable water bottles but still get bottled water at times.

He joked about getting a brand I don’t like (I know it’s just water but I can be picky) and I told him to get the other water. While this was going on, I noticed a woman standing behind us. There wasn’t room for her to pass since the entrance to the commissary was narrow. Then I realized she was waiting on my hubby so she could get some water.

When he got it in the cart, the woman walked up and told her teenage son to get a certain brand of water because the other one (the one we got) sucked since “they use less plastic and it’s crinkly sounding”. I felt like she was only saying that to be a bitch and was trying to start something with us. Then I shrugged it off and thought I was just jumping to conclusions. You would think I would have learned to trust my instincts by now.

Somehow she ended up getting in front of us. The commissary we go to checks for military ID and there was a woman on the left side and a man on the right checking as you’re walking into the store. My husband was pushing the cart and I was holding the little hummingbird.

There was an older man in front of us and the woman and he was slowly making his way onto a motorized scooter. So while we were standing there waiting, I told my hubby to wipe the cart down before we put our daughter in it. Out of nowhere this woman starts yelling at my hubby. “Stop pushing your cart into me!!! Can’t you watch where you’re going?!!! You keep running into me!!!” She kept going on and on. She said plenty of crazy gems but I’ve forgotten them since I waited to write this. Mommy brain.

The thing was, my hubby wasn’t even close to this crazy woman. If he had bumped into her, he would have said he was sorry but he was like 2 feet away from her. All we were doing was standing behind this mental case. My hubby and I don’t go walking around looking for fights and neither of us likes confrontation. I can be quite the talker once I get to know someone but I’m really shy and the hubs is super quiet.

The whole thing was so surreal and at first I thought I would just keep quiet and let my hubby take care of it. He kept on apologizing and said he never hit her and then she started bitching about how we seemed to “act like we owned the damn stack of water” when we were getting our pack. Holy phucking crap lady! That’s when I could no longer be quiet and I simply told her that my husband never hit her with the cart.

This must have been exactly what she wanted because then she really started freaking out on us. We were only a few feet into the grocery store and the ID checkers were just standing there. I was still holding my daughter so she was yelling at the both of us right in front of our 19 month old and in front of her teenage son. Fortunately the little girl wasn’t crying and was just staring at this crazy woman probably thinking “what the hell is your problem?”

People were looking and I just couldn’t even believe how psycho this woman was. I hear about these weird things that happen when it comes to dumb situations where the police are called and it had me worried that would be the case with this. This woman had long, over-bleached hair and while she was yelling and flipping out, it would sway back and forth. I would never do this but there were a few times when I had the urge to grab her hair and drop kick her.

Then a slew of four letter words were entering my mind and as much as I would have loved to lay some on her, I had the self-control she obviously lacked. That’s when 3 more words popped into my head. Words I have never used before despite my husband being in the military for 14 years. I thought it was fitting since here we were on a base at the commissary so as she started to walk away, still yelling at us, I told her God Bless America!

You can only imagine how much she loved me saying that. She turned back around to continue her yelling that had been going on for several minutes. Then she started walking off again and as she was going into the produce section, she called me a bitch. And I thought going to visit my MIL was going to be the most terrifying thing this month.

Surprisingly, I was able to get a picture of this crazy woman.

If you see this crazy woman, run!

What’s one of the craziest situations you’ve experienced with a stranger?

*To think all this time I’ve been hiding my mad drawing skillz.

24 Responses to If I Wanted To Be Verbally Attacked, I Wouldn’t Go To The Grocery Store. I Would Visit My MIL.

1. themrs November 9, 2010 at 06:17 #

oh girl! i am SO impressed with your self control~! these are the types of situations where i get myself in big trouble…by saying whatever comes into my mind 🙁 not good! theMr is convinced i’m gonna get myself shot someday. way to be the adult in front of your daughter!

p.s. you should totally be a police sketch artist! i’m sure i’d recognize her if i saw her just from your drawing 🙂

• Elle November 9, 2010 at 14:02 #

The sketch is pretty accurate except the crazy lady had a bigger mouth. 😉

2. ABCfibi November 9, 2010 at 07:09 #

Wow! I am sorry that happened to you. Especially in front of your kiddo. I am not sure what is wrong with some people. You handled that with more maturity and grace than I would of. I probably would have fought back and ended up letting my hothead get me in trouble. You set an awesome example for your little girl!

• Elle November 9, 2010 at 14:10 #

After a few minutes, I went looking for her in the store and I think my hubby almost pissed himself. I just wanted to see if she was still there. She was gone and I’m pretty sure her son made her leave b/c he was afraid the cops would be called.

The guy ID checker found us later and told us she left. Then he said “Just think, you only had to spend 5 minutes with her but she has to spend a lifetime with herself”. I love it!

3. L0serm0m November 9, 2010 at 12:11 #

HOLY COW!!!! WTF?? Is everyone in the free world having ‘grocery store hell’?!?! I just wrote a post about that EXACT same thing!! I wasn’t gonna post it until tomorrow….but I am sooo posting it now so you can read my “nightmare”. =)

• Elle November 9, 2010 at 14:11 #

I read your post and I think both are related to each other. 🙂

4. Jennifer November 9, 2010 at 12:37 #

I’m not sure what I would have done, but part of me thinks I would have started cracking up laughing. I probably would have asked her if she was mental or something.

• Elle November 9, 2010 at 14:04 #

I actually thought she was kidding at first. Then I quickly realized her day pass from the funny farm should be revoked. 😀

5. Cassie November 9, 2010 at 16:38 #

Uggh, I got irritated just reading this. It amazes me the way people can react to such ridiculous things. My mom always says “get a bigger problem” as in, if this is seriously your biggest issue, then you really need to broaden your horizons and realize that there are much bigger things to worry about then someone “supposedly” bumping your cart.
    Honestly, have some self respect woman. Making your self look like a fool in public says a lot more about her then it does about your husband “apparent” lack of cart-pushing courtesy.
    Obviously you have much better self control then me as I’m already yelling and I wasnt even involved! Good job keepin your cool Mama!

• Elle November 9, 2010 at 23:25 #

As strange as it may be, one of the things that bothered me later on was thinking that her poor son probably had to listen to his crazy mom complain about us for the rest of the day.

6. DiaryofaNewMom November 9, 2010 at 16:55 #

LOL! Nice picture. Obviously this woman had issues & was looking for a target. Sad she chose to lash out at a couple w/ a baby. I had a woman go totally ape-sh*t on me at a playground because she thought my 4yo son called her son, who happened to be autistic, “dumb.” She shrieked all sorts of insults at me in front of my son, her son & a bunch of other kids. Classy, huh? I left feeling irate and extremely sorry for her little boy.

• Elle November 9, 2010 at 23:23 #

Oh wow! That’s just sad. I know people can be going through awful things but I still don’t feel like it’s an excuse to lash out. Plenty of people have bad days, hell bad years and don’t go off on people, especially in front of children who learn by example. That woman sounds klassy with a k. 😉

7. Ash November 9, 2010 at 19:00 #

aww sorry to hear about this. good thing that you all kept your dignity. kudos! 🙂

~ash’s mum

• Elle November 9, 2010 at 23:31 #

I’m surprised we kept so calm, me in particular. lol

8. GrammyMouseTails November 9, 2010 at 19:01 #

I am so sorry you had to go through that, but I am sitting here laughing, and if I had witness it I might of starting laughing then too, esp after your Oh so witty words! but the I.D. checker must of dealt with her before, he had the best line, LOL! Maybe she is a bit unstable, since we are such gracious women should we give her benefit of the doubt?? Nah… when it’s our turn, we will get arrested, LOL! ~hugs, Faythe @GMT~

• Elle December 6, 2010 at 22:36 #

I actually mentioned to my hubby during this that it would be funny (although not really) if we were the ones thrown in jail. Especially since it was so apparent that she had major issues.

9. themomsmith November 10, 2010 at 21:57 #

Um. Yeah. Run from the crazy.

Especially in grocery stores.

It always happens in the grocery store or the grocery store parking lot!

• Elle November 10, 2010 at 22:14 #

I’ve experienced crazy in the parking lot too. Who would’ve thought grocery stores brought out the crazy in people? I guess they’re just really, really hungry. 😉

10. Mandi November 11, 2010 at 17:50 #

I was so hoping you had really gotten her picture!!! I’m sure we could have found a website of the crazies to post it on too 😉

• Elle November 29, 2010 at 03:22 #

That would have been awesome. 😀

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. An old man, a dirty diaper, and a parking space. | This Is Mommyhood - February 8, 2011

[…] what brings out the basket of insanity in people when it comes to grocery shopping. Take the crazy lady my family encountered awhile back. The shopping trip reminded me of a man I had to deal with when […]

2. An old man and a parking space. | This Is Mommyhood - February 14, 2011

3. Adventures in grocery shopping. | This Is Mommyhood - January 7, 2012

[…] I wouldn’t say I’m neccesarily a shut in, although my social anxiety doesn’t help matters, but it seems like when people go out shopping on the weekends, their douchey side comes blazing out. Exibit A. […]

4. Car carts are evil and will make you smell like Axe body spray | A Nervous Tic Motion - January 10, 2012

[…] It seems like when people go out shopping on the weekends, their douchey side comes blazing out. Exhibit A. […]