House Hunters International is like meth.

It started off innocent enough. My hubby would watch bits of House Hunters International and I wouldn’t pay much attention since I was usually looking for the remote so I could watch something from our DVR.

Usually it’s a show that starts with Real Housewives and ends with OC. It drives my husband crazy when I watch it.

Then it happened.

One night our little girl was winning the bedtime battle she’s been putting up for the past couple of months. By the time she settled down, it was almost 9 pm. My husband and I were finally able to sit down and eat dinner in the living room.

I was too exhausted to care what we watched so he turned on HHI. I got so into it and was talking to the people on the show like they could hear me.

“Hell no, don’t take that place. You have to walk up 6 flights of stairs!” “Are you kidding me? That first place is awesome and you’re buying that crappy house!”

And so it began.

The show hooks me in from the very beginning because I just HAVE to see what place these people end up buying. Sometimes there will be another episode on right after and I HAVE to watch that one. Screw folding laundry and cleaning up the kitchen before bed.

I’m glued to the televsion as long as the show is on. My hubby has told me to just DVR the episodes. Ha!  We have so much on our DVR and we don’t have much time to watch the movies or shows but it feels so wrong to just delete them.

I’m always holding out for an added 25th hour in the day so we can catch up with the things we watch. Fingers and toes crossed! I’ll only delete on the DVR and make room if it’s something like a Mark Ruffalo movie emergency type of situation.

Not only that, my hubby seems to think I have all the time in the world to watch television during the day.

Let’s see, I make my daughter breakfast that she usually doesn’t eat, try to cram a granola bar into my mouth before she sees it because then she’ll eat most of it, clean her up, clean off her high chair tray, feed the cat, let my daughter watch Caillou while I stand there trying to remember what I was just doing, finally remember I need to wash the sheets, get a few sips of my now cold coffee, get my daughter dressed, try and distract her long enough to take my shower, take her to the playground, deal with a few tantrums, come home and give her a snack…..nope, the rest of the day just goes on like this so I can’t DVR the show and watch it later Mr. Hubby Man.

*deep breaths* deep breaths*

Anyway…

Most of the time I want to smack the people on the show.

Not only do they already have a home, they’re able to buy another home in a foreign country. Then, some of these people get so bratty about things they can easily fix.

I very well know that I would have things to whine and complain about when buying a home.

Actually, I don’t even need to buy a home to whine and complain but these people seem like they’re a total pain in the ass extra picky.

I’m paraphrasing here but they’ll say things like ‘Sure the house is a steal and it’s in Italy but OMG the wall is BEIGE! We can’t possibly buy this house!’

There was a couple on the show that made me freaking homicidal.

The guy’s job (he was military and had an insane housing allowance) was taking them to Japan but instead of wanting to embrace the culture, they wanted to find a home just like the one they have in America.

They saw a gorgeous traditonal Japanese home that I would give my right arm for but this couple didn’t want something that looked Japanese.

Wha?

I’ve had to take a small break from watching the show because of obvious these people are idiots reasons but I know I’ll be back to watching it in no time.

Damn House Hunters International, I just can’t quit you!

13 Responses to House Hunters International is like meth.

1. Liz (North Shore Mommy) April 8, 2011 at 06:33 #

Ha! I watch this show too and get equally as fired up. Why do these people always end up buying the house that has like no kitchen or plumbing and crumbling 18th century castle walls? But then they show the house like 2 months later and it’s gorgeous and renovated. Huh? It took us 2 years to put a new countertop in our house… Agghhhh, it’s totally like meth!

• Elle April 9, 2011 at 07:58 #

Lol, that gets me every time. These people will complain about one house in particular and I’ll think there’s no way they’ll buy it. Then at the end, that’s the one they pick. I wonder if the show brings people in to remodel for them. On one episode they showed the house all snazzy 6 weeks later and it seemed impossible they wouls fix it up that fast. 😉

2. sara April 8, 2011 at 08:17 #

I stayed up way later than I should have watching HHI last night. My thing is that I ask the people questions like they can hear me. “You’re a costume jewelry and bead designer, how can you even afford a 350K second house in Belize?!” OR “You know you could just paint the walls, right? Having to paint one room does not make a house non move-in ready, doucebag!” And so forth.

• Elle April 9, 2011 at 08:02 #

I saw one where it seemed like all the couple did was surf and throughout the episode I kept saying how in the hell did they get the money. My hubby kept on saying they just saved (it was a hint to me ;)) but there was no way they could have even afforded a bag of Doritos. 😛

3. casacaudill April 8, 2011 at 08:55 #

My favorite is when they talk extensively at the top of the show about how much fun it’s going to be to experience a new culture and what a learning experience it’ll be and then they talk about how they “need” an American kitchen, or American bathroom, or American this and American that. I know exactly what episode you’re talking about in Japan and I hated those people by the end of the show. Sure that wife was uprooted and I’m sure doing something so major and monumental when you’re not really happy about it is difficult and jarring, but who goes to Japan to live in the same house they have back in Oklahoma? Apparently that gal. The absolute worst for me is when people talk about places being too small and they’re huge.

• Elle April 9, 2011 at 08:13 #

The people talking about wanting a new and different experience and then wanting everything Americanized drive me crazy. I always say “Stay in America then!” 🙂

Yep, that couple in Japan made me stabby. I know it seemed like a shock to her and I could understand (the military was going to send us to Japan for 3 years but they changed their mind at the last minute, after we prepared everything. The thought of moving there was exciting and at the same time scary for me) but I couldn’t believe they turned down that one GORGEOUS Japanese house with the American kitchen, which was rare.

She said something like ‘We’re in Japan, we don’t need Japan in our house”. 0_O

4. Wombat Central April 9, 2011 at 05:45 #

Okay, now I have to find this show online, because we have the budget version of cable. 🙁
    I do, however, always get sucked into the Animal Planet show, “I Shouldn’t Be Alive.” There was one where a woman got lost in the Grand Canyon and made stupid move after stupid move until she was lost in there for 20 days or so.Yes, I wanted to yell at her.

• Elle April 9, 2011 at 08:17 #

I LOVE “I Shouldn’t Be Alive”. That show makes me stabby too. 😉 These people always seem to make everything worse and more difficult. I’m sure I would pull some dumb moves if I was lost somewhere but the people on the show are pretty stupid. ;P

5. Sarah M April 9, 2011 at 15:28 #

Have you seen the one with the guy and his cat in Italy!! I have never laughed so hard at an episode of HHI…i almost peed!! He picked the place that had nothing in it literally no cupboards, appliances, tub, toilet…and looked like a dump..the best part it was the most expensive place….and he kept talking about how much his cat would love the terrace!!

• Elle April 9, 2011 at 21:39 #

I haven’t seen that one but oh my gawd, it sounds hilarious! I have to keep my eye out for that episode. 😀

6. Fête Foreign April 10, 2011 at 08:31 #

Uh-oh . . .I might just have to watch this show. Sound like something I could get addicted to.

• Elle April 11, 2011 at 00:32 #

You’ll be hooked within the first few minutes. 🙂

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Yuuuup! « This Is Mommyhood - July 30, 2011

[…] post is for Marie R. who suggested I do a follow up post on my House Hunters International is like meth post. […]