If this doesn’t prove I’m certifiable, I don’t know what will.

I have superstitions and things that have to be a certain way. Some things are OCD, some are just weird which I guess is one in the same. I have a ton of them but I’ll keep it short.

The number 13 freaks me out. I try to avoid making any doctor appointments or do anything of importance on the 13th. Sometimes I’ll get reactions from the people I’m making an appointment with when I tell them any day but the 13th and then they look at me like the loony person I am.

I got married on July 8th but several family members were coming into town a few days later and it was suggested that the date be changed to the 13th. No way! I might as well have walked under a ladder as I was going down the aisle while having a black cat crossing my path.

I don’t care if I’ve been impaled or my head has been cut off in some freak accident. I won’t see a doctor or have surgery to sew my head back on unless it’s on another date.

~~~

One of the highlights of my week is picking out the designs of the paper towels I get when I go to the grocery store. Woohoo, I’m so exciting!

Also I’m a paper towel slut even though I really try to be green. But as Kermit the Frog says, “It’s not easy being green”. The thought of wiping my clean hands on a cloth towel right before I prepare food gets me all twitchy.

I think of the millions of germs and plague spreading all over the towel.

~~~

It drives me crazy when my husband has something hanging out of a dresser drawer or a bag sticking out of one of the bins in the refrigerator. One time while I was in the shower, I heard him opening and closing the dresser drawers and knew he was up to something.

When I walked into the bedroom I saw that not only did he deliberately have clothes hanging out of his drawers to drive me crazy, he also did it to my dresser. I thought it was pretty hilarious but annoying at the same time since I had to open and close 10 dresser drawers and stuff the clothes back in.

He was waiting outside the bedroom for my reaction and I chased him around the house so I could strangle him. Actually it was more like a waddle since I was about 9 months pregnant so unfortunately he got away. Damn!

~~~

I absolutely, positively hate to drive and will do almost anything or make any excuse to get out of it. I go into panic mode because other people seem to do everything but drive while they’re in the car.Β Once I’m finally on the road I calm down and I think it’s not so bad but then the panic sets in the next time and the time after that.

Last week my hubby drove us to a doctor’s appointment and the guy behind our car was way too close. There was someone making a left turn so the hubs slowed down as one does in that situation and the asswipe behind us starts speeding up and tries to swerve around us.

Then he had the nerve to lay on his horn. Since the hummingbird was in the car, I got all Mama Bear. My husband told me to relax and that he would take care of it which meant he wasn’t going to do anything.

I turned around to look at the guy and while I really wanted to give him the finger, I kept on putting my hand up in a stop and back off motion while pointing at my baby girl in her car seat. I’m sure I looked completely sane. heh. It worked and the guy backed off.

I need to win the lottery so I can get a chaffeur….and a chef….and a personal hairstylist…and..and…

So I don’t feel like a total freak, what are some of your idiosyncrasies?

19 Responses to If this doesn’t prove I’m certifiable, I don’t know what will.

1. Mcai7td3 April 21, 2011 at 01:38 #

You’re not mad but you do sound alot like one of my best friends. She will go mental if clothes are hanging out drawers. She is also a complete clean freak and has, in the past, picked fluff of my coat whilst I’ve been having coffee with her. My hubby is v similar. I am obviously attracted to people with mild OCD!

• Elle April 21, 2011 at 18:09 #

I do that with my hubby if he has something on his shirt. πŸ˜‰

2. Mrs. Weber April 21, 2011 at 05:52 #

Hi! Found your blog as a follower suggestion on Twitter. This post cracks me up…I, too, have my little quirks. I totally feel ya on the clothes sticking out of the drawer – I hate that! My husband also leaves shoes everywhere in our house and his shavings in the sink. Drives me nuts. Just know, we all have our little freaky things so you’re not alone! πŸ™‚

• Elle April 21, 2011 at 18:11 #

Once my daughter was born I made a rule that there would be no shoes in the house, we leave them by the door. But I still manage to trip over our shoes since my little girl likes to run off with them. πŸ™‚

3. Sarah M April 21, 2011 at 06:54 #

Everything my child wears has to match…right now she is wearing striped tights with a striped dress and it doesn’t really match BUT we don’t have matching tights for that dress yet and she refused to wear the pink pants that I first put on her. This matching thing hasn’t been a problem until recently when she has wanted to pick out her own clothes…an almost 3 year old doesn’t care that things don’t match and neither does my husband!! If we are going out somewhere I always try and pick out her clothes before he gets a chance or else I have to secretly change her before we leave..LOL I definitely think sometimes he does it on purpose!! Giving her choices of matching outfits helps but sometimes I lose because arguing with an almost 3 year old is pointless…I just have to deal with the twitch I get every time I look at her mismatched outfit!! You’re not alone!!

• Elle April 22, 2011 at 15:31 #

My hubby is colorblind so when he dresses our daughter, yowza! I always make some lame excuse about having to change her or else it will bug me the rest of the day. πŸ˜‰

4. Marianna Annadanna April 21, 2011 at 07:53 #

When I turn the volume up or down (on the tv or stereo) I have to set it to an even number. Odd numbers feel unfinished.

• Elle April 22, 2011 at 15:33 #

I do the same thing. There are times when I don’t pay attention and when I look, not only will it be an odd number, it will be on 13. eek!

5. Mom April 21, 2011 at 08:57 #

My thing is making sure cds and books are alphabetized. I have also made sure my clothes in the closet are matched by color, but I was really bored that day.

• Elle April 22, 2011 at 15:34 #

So that’s where I get my need to have a color coded closet from. πŸ˜€

6. MrsMosby April 21, 2011 at 20:54 #

I feel the same way about kitchen towels!! I use way too many paper towels. I cannot stand drying my hands on a kitchen towel before I prepare food, and I also can’t stand when people dry their dishes with a kitchen towel and put them away. Eww, germs everywhere!!

• Elle April 22, 2011 at 15:35 #

My husband sometimes uses the kitchen towel to wipe up something from the floor so that really makes me not want to use it.

7. themomsmith April 21, 2011 at 22:39 #

Hey you! I’m scanning the ICLW list and see you were on it! I’m doing it too. πŸ™‚ Anyway, I just had to tell you that I also hate the number 13. If I have 13 emails unread I immediately read them all. I hate to drive too but that’s more because it’s way better to pretend that they are my personal chauffeur. My husband gets kinda pissed when I get in the car and say “To The Store, Jeeves!” but it doesn’t stop me.

• Elle April 22, 2011 at 15:38 #

Next time I go to the store with my hubby, I need to use that line. I’m sure he’ll love it just as much as your husband does. hehe

8. Mandi April 22, 2011 at 08:04 #

Oh I have so many little things I wouldn’t even be able to list them! The problem may be that *I* think they are normal. So that right there should help, right?? πŸ˜‰

• Elle April 22, 2011 at 15:41 #

I find some of the things I do to be totally normal until my hubby asks me what in the world am I doing and I haven’t notice I’ve been straightening things on the coffee table for the past 10 minutes. πŸ˜€

9. EL April 23, 2011 at 08:05 #

When Mister opens the curtains in the dining room and living room, he pulls them back and then wraps the sash AROUND the curtains once and hooks them back in a tight bunch instead of a gently draped, flowing arrangement. I swear to God, he has a death wish.

And how does one get toothpaste on the OUTSIDE of the drawers? WTF IS that?!

Toilet paper is meant to be over, not under. Comply or get your own bathroom.

When you see dirty dishes on the counter, and they’re all stacked with like things…. Why, for the love of GOD, would you set your plate on top of a stack of bowls when there’s CLEARLY a stack of plates RIGHT NEXT TO IT!!! __twitch*__

Why are you holding a fork in your left hand, and eating with the fingers of your right hand?

10. Veronica November 9, 2011 at 10:59 #

I know this post is old but I found your blog on The Bloggess’s roll a little while ago and first read your in-law posts and decided to start at the beginning πŸ™‚ so here I am up to this point. You are not crazy, I pretty much have all those same “quirks” as you do, especially being a paper towel slut and things being out of place. I’ve learned to live with a lot but there are still certain things my husband does that he knows send my anxiety/OCD into high gear and he’ll think it’s funny. I on the other hand, am ready to murder someone. So as far as I’m concerned, you’re completely normal.

P.S. I think you’re hilarious and the Little Hummingbird is beyond precious!!

• Elle November 12, 2011 at 13:47 #

I’m glad I’m not the only paper towel slut. πŸ™‚ I feel the same way with my hubby….so I’ll bring the shovel if you need help hiding the body with yours. πŸ˜€