Looking for easy peasy real mommyhood recipes for kids.

I’ve mentioned before that the little hummingbird is a picky eater. A very picky eater. She mostly lives off of black beans, mac n cheese, peanut butter & toast, crackers, and fruit. Also, she doesn’t like meat. I try to expose her to several foods.

Right now she’s just not having it but I haven’t given up. So I give her foods that I know she’ll eat plus I’ll add something different on her plate since I’m hoping that one of these days she’ll actually try it.

I know there are several wonderful sites out there that have recipes geared for children but I’ve found with my lack of cooking skills and lack of time, they’re not always the most convenient or practical. This is where you come in.

I’m looking for moms and dads out there that are in the same position or the lucky ones who have kids that will devour anything you put in front of them. My hubby and I have a few cookbooks for kids but when my daughter is hungry, I don’t have time (or the patience) to make something for her that requires 15 ingredients. I’m looking for simple but also healthy meals that don’t take hours to make and is also reasonable in price when it comes to the ingredients.

I would like to add a page to my blog for kid friendly recipes so if you have any that have passed the (very) picky eater test and would like me to post them, just email me at elle(dot)mommyhood(at)gmail(dot)com. You can also leave it in the comments section.

They can be recipes for kids or the whole family, meat based or vegetarian, something that requires about 8 ingredients max (although that’s not set in stone, it’s fine if it’s more although the fewer ingredients, the better), recipes that aren’t complicated and since I know that can be subjective here’s something to help, when it comes to my cooking level, I’m capable of burning microwavable lasagna, so yeah, the simpler, the better. :^)

It’s also really important to me that I expose my daughter to food from different cultures. It can be Greek, Indian, Mexican, Italian, etc. So if you have a recipe or several that you’d like to share and want me to put it on my site, I thank you in advance.

**Update. I forgot to add that my daughter and I will be trying out these recipes & letting you know what we think. Don’t worry, I’m very gentle despite how I talk about my mother-in-law, it’s my little girl you’ll have to worry about. I kid, I kid.

12 Responses to Looking for easy peasy real mommyhood recipes for kids.

1. Gumbygirl May 27, 2011 at 19:55 #

Chicken Hurry
    Brown cubes of chicken breast in frying pan with splash of oil or butter
    Mix together to make sauce
    1 cup of ketchup
    1/4 cup of brown or white sugar
    1pkg of Lipton onion soup mix
    1/4 cup of water
    Pour over the cooked chicken and serve with rice

2. Julia May 27, 2011 at 20:05 #

Hi Elle — nice blog and adorable girl. She looks like she’s got spunk — watch out! Just wanted to let you know that I’ve just started up a blog in the last month that has many quick and easy recipes for busy families. I have 3 kids, and all of these recipes please at least two-thirds of them (plus I like them which is kind of a requirement if I’m going to be stuck cooking it). I’d say try the Super Fast Turkey Chili and the Chicken-and-Wine — both huge hits here and ridiculously easy. Good luck! Drop a comment if you stop by! -Julia

3. Samantha May 27, 2011 at 20:13 #

oh this is exciting. if you’re looking for some competition in the “bad cook” contest, i think i can give you a run for your money. i can screw up anything. my son is only 8 months old, so i really know nothing about kid friendly foods, but i have this dream of being a really good cook, so here are a couple of my favorites. does it count that I’M a really fussy eater? i used to sit at the dinner table for hours (literally) because i just refused to choke down whatever was on my plate.

pizza margarita (again, i really have no idea how to spell that and am too lazy to look it up)

1 pre-made pizza crust (or you can make your own, which i used to do until my hubs told me he liked the pre-made ones from the store better. sweet huh?)
    olive oil
    garlic
    fresh tomatoes
    monzerella cheese (god my spelling is awful)
    spices — i cannot eat pizza without oregano

crush however much garlic you want into a little bit of olive oil. be careful…a little garlic goes a long way. brush the garlic and olive oil mixture over the pizza crust. cut your tomatoes into small pieces. sprinkle all over your pizza. top with however much cheese you want and then sprinkle your favorite spices. bake it for however long it says on the crust package. seriously, this is so fast and easy, and i love the taste of it.

king ranch chicken

2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded or cut up
    2 cups chicken broth
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1 can rotel, tomatoes & peppers (but this is too spicy for me so i just use a can of diced tomatoes with jalepenos)
    Soft tortillas (cut into quarters)
    mexican style shredded cheese

cook chicken. mix together broth, soups and tomatoes. layer in a casserole dish: tortillas, chicken, sauce, cheese. do however many layers will fit. bake at 350 for 20 minutes. now, i’ve modified this recipe a little because i wasn’t a huge fan of how soggy the tortillas got. some people love it, i didn’t. so, i cut down a little on the amount of soup i put in so it was a little thicker, and then i served it over rice. i like it better that way.

good luck!!!

4. Marianna Annadanna May 28, 2011 at 08:51 #

I was a picky eater too as a kid. I even threw-up at daycare once because they made me eat mashed potatos with weiners in them. GAG.

I don’t have kids myself, but I always liked stuff I had a hand in making. Hummingbird is little, but maybe if she picks some of the ingrediants?

Like mini pizzas on english muffins in the toaster oven? Or mini tortilla wraps toasted on a grill. Or if she likes fruit, maybe a kabob? Or whole wheat cracker sandwiches witha range of things to add? Stuff she can add her favs to??

5. Jen {at} take2mommy May 29, 2011 at 20:30 #

If your daughter doesn’t like meat, maybe try tofu? My boys love tofu, but only the way I make it. I fry the bajezus out of it in oil till it’s golden brown & sprinkle soy sauce on it. Read this if u want to give it a try: http://www.take2mommy.com/2010/07/tofu-american-style.html

6. Katrien May 30, 2011 at 01:19 #

To add a foreign touch, I’m from Belgium (highly doubt this would qualify as an exotic recipe though!)
    I have an easy eater who will try lots of stuff, but she adores any type of mashed potatoes with vegetables mashed up in there (carrots, spinnach, etc).
    My quick fix is this one:
    two potatoes (diced), two carrots (diced) and a little bit of water.
    Put them in the microwave (it takes mine 5 min. to steam the veggies at the same time). When it’s done add a dash of nutmeg, whole milk and a little bit of butter and mash it up with whatever tool is available. But make sure it basically looks orange and not chunky.
    If you have sausage, bake it while the microwave is doing it’s thing, otherwise I add a few slices of turkey or ham that I cut up …
    I also like to add a fresh herb to the mash, depending on what I have at home, but parsley or basil are always a big hit here … my little girl finds the green bits very interesting, so I stick with it .. I can imagine that is not always the case though!
    If you have more then 10 minutes I would boil the potatoes (I still stick my carrots in the microwave, I prefer them steamed).

7. Luna May 30, 2011 at 13:07 #

I have very very picky eaters. And a buttload of allergies between them. The list of things that one or more of our kids can’t have include: gluten, dairy, corn, soy, eggs, berries, sugar, nuts, tomatoes. It’s crazy. To make matters worse, I’m vegetarian because meat makes me ill – not judgementally. Just literally sick to my stomach.

My 2 year old ADORES chickpeas. He ate an entire can for lunch today. He’ll eat them any which way you can imagine. Straight from the can, mashed into hummus, baked. Actually, baked chickpeas are AWESOME for a kid who likes crunchy things. Basically take your cooked chickpeas (either canned or boil your own) and sprinkle some olive oil onto them. About 2 tsps is plenty for two cans. Sprinkle salt and any other seasoning you like (garlic powder is good, so is cajun seasoning). Put them on a cookie sheet and bake them at about 375 until they’re golden. About 20 mins.

8. Firehorse May 31, 2011 at 11:47 #

All in one comfort food potatoes; (this was a god send when my now teen son was a non-sleeping picky eater).
    Mashed potatoes, 1 can of sweetcorn (or use cooked frozen kernels), cheese (whichever the picky eater will eat this week – or don’t bother), 1 small block of tofu.

Mash the tofu and potatoes together, stir in the sweetcorn, grate cheese over the top, put in a warm oven for 20-30 minutes or whatever. Plus points, this is comfort food for adults and if your sweet baby child is going through the phase of not eating anything without tomato sauce, you can rest easy knowing that this dish has protein AND a vegetable.

Other than that, I will pass on the advice I was given, make sure fruit is available, and remember no toddler ever starved it’s self to death. My now strapping 13 year old is living proof the fussy eating thing doesn’t last, and any minute now I’m expecting to recover from the sleep deprivation I suffered for the first 3 years of his life.

• Luna May 31, 2011 at 12:51 #

“remember no toddler ever starved it’s self to death.”

Ugh. I hate this advice. (Sorry!) The thing is, mine would have. He was so anemic and underweight they were going to put in a g-tube until I started giving him a special kind of formula that we called “treat milk” to get him to drink it. I was accused of not feeding him, the health unit sent out a feeding team to watch me feed him once a week. I had to document every morsel that he ingested. It was sheer HELL. So I’m feeling a hot button issue here.

9. Mandi June 5, 2011 at 12:05 #

Do you cook in a crockpot? I have some yummy easy recipes! Maybe not the healthiest, but they can be made somewhat healthy. I think.

10. Kristy H June 6, 2011 at 16:56 #

I lucked out and somehow my own kids ate pretty well, but my best friends kids were/are picky! One way she got them to eat different foods was by letting them help make their own wraps or Pita pouches, she’d use lunchmeat, tuna, chicken salad, even peanut butter, and then have different veggies and sauces (Ranch, mayo, honeymustard) for the “meat” sandwiches, and things like Raisins, Granola, dried fruit, etc for the peanut butter.
    Once she knew what they liked, she’d throw in a new item and sometimes they’d go for it, sometimes not. BUT, they did seem to eat more when they were helping make the food : )

11. Mandi B. June 23, 2011 at 20:57 #

The Family Fun magazine people also wrote a cookbook. I have a picky husband and he eats like a picky 2yr old. I don’t make his food shaped fun like with dinosaur cookie cutters but it works. Also since it’s geared toward cooking with kids even the most novice chef can be successful.