When I was pregnant with the hummingbird I had insane cravings for 4 things.

I ate so many bean burritos with sour cream throughout my pregnancy, I’m surprised I didn’t give birth to a 7 pound 9 ounce burrito. I guess I sort of did when your consider that babies look like burritos when they’re swaddled, minus the cheese.

I went crazy for potatoes; mashed, baked, fries, hashbrowns, any way. There were a few times I considered eating a raw potato because I didn’t feel like I could wait. Pregnancy hunger made me feel like I could even eat my own arm if I didn’t get food right away. After I had my daughter I thought the crazy hunger would calm down but when I was pumping, my need for food this very second seemed almost as bad.

It surprises me that the little hummingbird refuses to have anything to do with potatoes but my hubby says it’s probably because I ate so many while she was in the womb that it’s enough to last her a lifetime.

I had to have ginger ale almost every day (I still have to have some in the house) and it couldn’t be any brand. It had to be Canada Dry. It was rare that I couldn’t find that brand but if my hubby and I were somewhere and they didn’t have it, he would immediately say he was sorry.

My hubby never really apologized for anything before I was pregnant and doesn’t do it that often now. But when I was pregnant and hormonal with the little hummingbird, if I just looked at him and he thought I was mad even if I wasn’t, he would say he was sorry.

I went completely crazy when it came to orange juice and anything that was fruity. I’m usually a chocoholic so it was weird when I would want something like lemon meringue pie over a brownie. My husband and I still joke about my crazy obsession with orange juice while pregnant. Towards the end of my pregnancy, we would have to get 2 one gallon containers of it a week.

The first time I realized I had a love affair with orange juice was at the beginning of my second trimester. I couldn’t sleep because my hubby was snoring and I had “morning” sickness 24/7. I was in bed and finally got comfortable when I got this massive craving for oj.

As much as I wanted it, I didn’t want to get out of bed so I figured it would be there when I got up in the morning and it wasn’t likely that my hubby would drink what’s left of it.

When I got up that morning I sprinted to the fridge and saw there wasn’t any orange juice left. Then I saw that the empty container was in the recycling bin. I felt like I was in a slow motion scene from a movie when someone yells out noooooooo!

The hormones were creeping up in me and I had to call my hubby who was at work. When he answered the phone I wasn’t screaming and didn’t even raise my voice. I’m pretty sure though that pregnancy hormones come out in our voice for our guys to hear just like dog whistles to dogs.

When I asked him if he drank the last of the orange juice he said uhhhhhhh like he thought I was going to jump through the phone and rip his head off. Both of them.

Then he said I’m so sorry. I’ll get more on the way home. I cheerily responded with Okay, thanks, love you, bye which probably sounded to him like you’re in deep shit and I’m going to kill you for drinking the last of the orange juice that OUR BABY needs when you get home.

Not that I ever said anything like that anytime during my pregnancy I totally did.

22 Responses to When I was pregnant, I would’ve easily stabbed someone if they came near *my* orange juice. Not that I ever had to because I scared the hell out of my husband and everyone else.

1. Abby July 12, 2011 at 09:12 #

I ate so many hot chicken and swiss Subway sandwiches while I was preggers that the local store manager looked me up a couple of months after I had my son. He called me to make sure I was doing okay, since I had not been in get a sandwich in so long.

• Elle July 13, 2011 at 22:31 #

That is hilarious! 🙂

2. Mama And The City July 12, 2011 at 10:24 #

While I didn’t come close to kill anyone over food during my pregnancy, I certainly react that way pre and post pregnancy. I have always been a protector of my food (read as: not-a-good-sharer). I did not have that many cravings, were more like preferences. But I remember I shared my food more while pregnant – funny, huh?

• Elle July 13, 2011 at 22:33 #

I’m not a food sharer either but I do like to eat off my husband’s plate when we go out to eat. I’ve had to learn to share since my daughter always wants to eat some of what I’m having. She’s a meanie. 😉

3. Christene July 12, 2011 at 11:51 #

I am currently pregnant with our second, and just like with our first, I drench everything in hot sauce. My daughter loves spicy food. I am thinking there may be a connection.

• Elle July 13, 2011 at 22:35 #

I would love to take tortilla chips and drench them in Frank’s hot sauce.

4. Kim July 12, 2011 at 12:48 #

My husband was so disappointed during my first pregnancy, b/c I didn’t crave pickles and ice cream nor anything else at 3 in the morning. The only thing I did crave actually was grapefruits. I did wake up frequently in the middle of the night needing to eat one. And now I am pregnant with our third daughter and the insatiable hunger I feel still surprises/scares me…
    Stopping over from The Bloggess! So glad I found your blog.

• Elle July 13, 2011 at 22:37 #

I think I asked my husband only twice to go out because I had a crazy burrito craving and I had to fight him since he didn’t want to. This was in the middle of the day and that’s when I played the “you’re depriving your baby of food” card. Lol.

5. mcai7td3 July 12, 2011 at 14:04 #

Haha I had some mad cravings. I was completely obsessed with ice and ice pops. I went round all the supermarkets looking for a particular brand and then finally settled on The Simpsons novelty ones. I’d jut sit and crunch them all day long and would panic if there was any risk I was running out! Other cravings were mashed potato with LOTS of butter, biryani with coleslaw, and fish, chips and mushy peas twice a week. I think I pretty much rolled to the hospital in the end!

• Elle July 13, 2011 at 22:38 #

Now I’m really hungry! 😀

6. mayfly79 July 12, 2011 at 20:13 #

Love that! I craved OJ so bad, but it gave me such terrible heartburn I had to stop. Then I discovered spaghetti. It’s all I wanted, almost every night…finally gave in and started just making a big pot of it to always have leftovers when I needed. My roommate ONCE ate the last of it, and I nearly took her head off. Funny how we get so crazy & hormonal, but it SEEMS normal at the time!

• Elle July 13, 2011 at 22:40 #

It’s so true. I thought I was being perfectly rational about my cravings and now I think how did my hubby put up with it?! 🙂

7. dsfunctionalmom July 12, 2011 at 21:31 #

I was the same way with milk. I would waddle to the fridge and turn the jug up and just suck it down. YUM. I also ate a lot of chili cheese burritos from Taco Bell!

• Elle July 13, 2011 at 22:41 #

I used to love the chili cheese burritos, they were awesome. I can never find them anymore. *sad face*

8. talesof2children July 13, 2011 at 13:28 #

I had so many cravings with my first I hated melons all my life until I got pregnant now I can’t get enough of them with number 2 I just craved chocolate I could have eaten it all day everyday and that wasn’t until the 3rd trimester because the only thing i craved in the first to was soda crackers to tame the nausea!!

• Elle July 13, 2011 at 22:44 #

I used to love chicken but while I was pregnant just the smell would make me sick. Even now I can’t eat it that often. It’s so weird.

9. Suzi July 13, 2011 at 14:40 #

Skinny Cow Chocolate Truffle Bars – I can’t seem to get enough of them! Also, I’ve never been a big fan of McDonald’s… but now it seems like all I want is a quarter pounder!

• Elle July 13, 2011 at 22:52 #

That’s too funny because when my husband and I would go grocery shopping there was a McDonald’s a few minutes away from the store. I would make him drive thru for a quarter pounder and a small fry that I would put inside the burger. Within a few minutes I would inhale that sucker before we even parked. 😉

I love Skinny Cow but didn’t try any of their ice cream until last year. All of the other low fat ice cream I’ve had in the past was pretty nasty but Skinny Cow is soooo good.

10. staciehanson July 14, 2011 at 09:46 #

This post was hilarious. When I was pregnant, my husband and I referred to it as The Hunger, as if it was its own entity that was constantly threatening to take over my normally somewhat rational self. I would totally want to eat my own arm or the arm of the stranger sitting next to me on the bus. My husband couldn’t understand why I didn’t constantly carry around granola bars in my purse, but that would just be way too practical and would eliminate my excuse to drive through McDonald’s for my daily McFlurry or Shamrock shake. But then I would get tired of eating whatever I was eating halfway through it (my 10-month-old does that now, and her dad blames me), and my husband can’t waste food, so he would finish it and then couldn’t figure out why he had gained 15 lbs.

• Elle July 14, 2011 at 22:00 #

My husband suggested the same thing about throwing some granola bars or nuts in my purse so I would have something if I get hungry. I would tell him (more like whine) that I don’t want granola bars and if I put nuts in my purse, they’ll be his if I don’t get the food I’m craving. 😉

I eventually kept a constant supply of almonds in my purse because when pregnancy hunger hits, waiting for food is torture.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Yuuuup! « This Is Mommyhood - July 30, 2011

[…] wife, I would have tried to strangle him at this point. I would have killed my husband over orange juice when I was pregnant so I was surprised that she was agreeable when he told her they should still […]

2. Pregnancy sucks… and then it doesn’t… and then it does… and then you just want that baby out. | This Is Mommyhood - September 8, 2014

[…] biggest cravings were anything to do with fruit, potatoes, Taco Bell bean burritos with sour cream, and orange juice. Holy hell, I would stab somebody if they fucked with my orange juice. My poor […]