A peace offering.

Back in December I ordered the book, Love You Forever, online. It was going to be a present for the little hummingbird and it looked like such a sweet book.

Then I read it and towards the end I found it creepy. The mom drives across town with a ladder strapped to the roof of her car and breaks into her grown son’s house to check on him.

Yes, I get it. I check on the hummingbird countless times at night and my heart will break when she moves away from home. Excuse me a sec.

*CRIES* *SOBS*

Ahem. I understand the sweetness of the book but I wrote a post in January and made fun of it anyway.

The always awesome Teri from Diary Of A Mad Hatter (back then she had the blog The Momsmith) has been kinda sorta haunting me about it since because she loves the book. I can’t even go on Pinterest without her reminding me. *sniff*

I noticed this on Pinterest a few days ago…

With this from her….

I know some of you hate this book…I’m looking at you @Elle Davis but I love it!

So, Teri, here’s a peace offering…..

~~~

~~~

~~~

~~~

~~~

~~~

The End.

18 Responses to A peace offering.

1. Lindsey August 15, 2011 at 11:12 #

LOL!!

I own the book but I don’t really love it – for that reason. He could’ve done so much more with a title like that. Maybe you should write an alternate ending that doesn’t involve the MIL of our nightmares.

• Elle August 15, 2011 at 21:55 #

Good idea! Maybe I should use a cordless screwdriver on the MIL. bwahahaha! 😉

2. Cajun Asian Chronicles August 15, 2011 at 12:40 #

My list of the most amazing children’s books of ALL time EVERRRR:
    Stand Back Said the Elephant, I’m Going To Sneeze by Patricia Thomas
    I Like You by Sandol Stoddard Warburg
    What Are You So Grumpy About? by Tom Lichtenheld

You won’t be disappointed

• Elle August 15, 2011 at 22:03 #

Thanks for the list. I’m always on the lookout for new books for the hummingbird. I was thisclose to getting the elephant book for her birthday back in April. 🙂

3. Kim August 15, 2011 at 13:11 #

LOL 🙂 Cute cartoon idea! This book’s ending is creepy for me, too, and I think if only it had been done a little differently, or illustrated differently at the end. I tend to not pick it from my children’s bookshelf, but I’ve never really asked my girls what they think of it. Maybe I should. Maybe they like it that adults hold one another?

• Elle August 15, 2011 at 22:06 #

I meant to return the book after I received it but forgot about it so it’s ours for keeps. Needless to say, it’s not on our bookshelf, I hid it. heehee. I was thinking of maybe donating it to the local library so others have the opportunity to be creeped out. 😀

4. Mcai7td3 August 15, 2011 at 14:12 #

I’ve never read this book but I’m imagining the ending of the book might be “….and there’s no escape!”. (p.s I thought Elle in the picture was going to whack the other lady with the spatula! I suspect that’s why she used the drill. Although I have to say she hid it well. I definitely didn’t see that coming!! :))

• Elle August 15, 2011 at 18:10 #

I think she was hiding the screwdriver behind the book she’s holding. 🙂 Actually, I had no idea where the cartoon was going until I was doing the 5th picture and I didn’t have time to go back and add the screwdriver. Okay, fine. It was more like I didn’t feel like going back and adding it in the previous pictures. 😉

• teri August 15, 2011 at 21:10 #

That is *definitely* what I was doing. Because I’m a ninja.

5. sarahwinters August 15, 2011 at 16:21 #

I really enjoyed ‘I Miss You, Stinky Face’ and ‘Guess How Much I Love You’ for the books about loving your little love bug (or humming bird).

• Elle August 15, 2011 at 22:08 #

We have Guess How Much I Love You (very sweet) and there’s no creepy factor although I guess you could say the mom is a borderline stalker if it’s the book I’m thinking of. 🙂

6. Mom August 15, 2011 at 17:05 #

I read that book to you many times at bedtime. Maybe that’s why it’s so creepy now? Who would have guessed….Elle, I love you forever but I won’t drive across town, climb into your bedroom, and rock you in my arms. 😉

• teri August 15, 2011 at 21:15 #

I would pay eleventy-billion dollhairs for you to do that to her and put it on the YouTubes!!!!!

7. teri August 15, 2011 at 21:13 #

I think the lesson in this is really for me.

“Never, ever, ever, ever tease Elle about that book again. Because if you do she will draw pictures on the Interweb that depict you as a homicidal maniac. And your cover will totally be blown. (That’s what she said.)”

• Elle August 15, 2011 at 22:12 #

Crap, I didn’t mean to out you as a homicidal ninja who likes bj’s. 😉 xoxo

8. Suzi August 17, 2011 at 23:30 #

Wow. Never read the book and now I’m not going to. It definately sounds creepy. We’ve been talking about books for our new addition and It looks like this one just made the “do not buy” list.

9. Erin August 20, 2011 at 00:01 #

ha ha I wrote about this on my blog too long ago. I started out thinking how cute & sweet this book was. Then I was hit with the creepiness of co-dependency. I’m glad my MIL has not read this book because she would take it as advice on how to stay close to her son.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Oooh that smell. Can’t you smell that smell? The smell of stinky feet that surrounds you. « This Is Mommyhood - September 20, 2011

[…] Love You Forever, […]