I’m not crafty. at. all. Or so I thought. I recently remembered that about 10 years ago I went crazy when it came to making candles. I don’t know how I got into it but I really loved making all sorts of candles, especially ice candles.

Photo Credit: Mystic Candles

I’d like to go back to doing that as a hobby but I’m not quite sure how well hot candle wax and a 2-year-old running around the house like a maniac will work. When I figure that out then I’ll show you my kind of cool candle making skills.

So, there were three craft projects I was set on doing. Normally when it comes to crafts I think to myself I’ll just buy the damn thing but this time I figured I’d give it a shot and make some things.

I got all three ideas from Connie at My Sunny Side Up Life who, of course, also writes for my baby, Motherhood Uncovered.

My hubby, the hummingbird, and I set off to a chain craft store for the supplies. The one we have in my area, well, sucks so I had to make do with what little they had. I’ve been to the same chain store in other places and they have anything you need but the one here is really lacking in supplies.

I had to race around the store because the little hummingbird’s lunch time was soon and she let EVERYONE in the store know that it was lunch, lunch, maahhmeee lunch!

First up are glass hurricanes and this is what I was aiming for…

Photo Credit: 320 Sycamore

A few days later I was able to make the glass hurricanes while my daughter was trying to “help” and our two cats were terrorizing each other. While this chaos was going on, I set out my supplies and since it was raining here in Northern California, I made sure to get some fake leaves that the hummingbird took a liking to so I had to keep chasing her around the house to get my leaves back.

This is what I started with.

And this is what I ended up with. You can see a blur of the little hummingbird’s head on the left as she was zooming around the table.

I didn’t like the leaves I had so I took them out.

Next up is this floating ghost. I think it’s so cool and couldn’t wait to make it.

Photo Credit: Everyday is a Crafting Day

It was pretty sunny and warm by the afternoon so I set the floating ghost up outside. Um, yeah, I might have forgotten about it until I went downstairs to get some water around 11:30 pm that night so um, well this is what it ended up looking like. I’m just going to go ahead and blame it on the non-existent wild dogs that are in my neighborhood for this disaster.

Whoopsie.

Moving on, I saw this really great book pumpkin and thought I could rock the shit out of this thing when I make it. This is what it’s supposed to look like.

Photo Credit: Sagebrush Ridge

It took me over an hour to cut through the pages of the book and the shape ended up looking more like a heart. I don’t know where I went wrong but it turned into a Courtney Love sized train wreck.

My book pumpkin gone bad.

Ready for lift off.

It has other uses like confusing the hell out of our kitten, Penny.

At first she’s totally oblivious.

Where in the hell did this come from?!

So this is what my mom was working on? Bwahahahaha!

I’m so over it.

Perfecto! A kitten as a book for Halloween.

You know I’m gonna get you back in your sleep, right?

There you have it. My craft misadventures. I’m not giving up but I think it will be awhile until I try being crafty again. Unless it has to do with candles.

So, what have we learned today? I think I’ll stick with just buying my Halloween decorations this year. That and Penny makes a kick ass book.

On the bright side she’s just a little kitten so I’m sure she’s already forgotten about the book pumpkin horror she had to see.

, , , ,

10 Responses to This undomestic chicky tries to do some crafts and it turns out…um….interesting. But at least now my kitten has a costume for Halloween.

1. erin October 12, 2011 at 12:12 #

LOL! Loved your post :) Your kitten is adorable ;)

• Elle October 13, 2011 at 12:04 #

Thank you!

2. Wombat Central October 12, 2011 at 12:49 #

Hrm. I was thinking those three looked fun and easy* too. Maybe I’ll just look at the pictures online instead of seeing them in person in my house.

*only if you’re Martha Flipping Stewart, apparently.

• Elle October 13, 2011 at 12:04 #

I obviously don’t have the Martha gene. ;)

3. Connie October 12, 2011 at 16:14 #

lol, you can do it!! The key to the hurricanes is to get really big leaves and for the paper pumpkin, draw a pumpkin, fold it in half, and then trace that shape onto your book. I have crafty faith in you!!!

• Elle October 13, 2011 at 12:05 #

I *might* try the book pumpkin again but I’ll wait until my hubby is home so he can wrangle the hummingbird. :)

4. Annie October 12, 2011 at 19:31 #

Man, can I relate to this post! I always look at these wonderful decorative ideas and think, “How hard can that be? A couple leaves sprinkled on the table…a festive scented candle and I’ll rock the Kasbah.” But then I pull out the old glue gun and some handicraft leftovers and think I’ll just whip me up a costume for Halloween. What usually happens? My fingers get stuck together and I have to make a mad dash to the overcrowded emergency room to see if they can part the digits! Unlike me, it looks like you’ve got a shot at greatness. Worst case scenario…your cat will never had so much fun.

• Elle October 13, 2011 at 12:07 #

I may or may not have glued my fingers together during two of the projects. ;)

5. Sarah K. October 13, 2011 at 09:48 #

My friends think I’m crafty, little do they know the real me. One even said “I’m crafty like Ice is cold” after I recently painted a chair and recovered the seat. I will admit this one actually turned out great and I had a big head briefly BUT clean up was a freaking nightmare. I decided to take on this project with about 30 minutes of light left. All went well until I was 3/4 of the way done and ran out of paint. I headed to my local store and grabbed another can which by the way wasn’t the same color as the first because I was too lazy to drive all the way to the hobby store that I bought the first can at. By the time I got home it was dark. I moved the chair from the back yard to the front driveway where there were lights. My 3 children were all running around our yard screaming like banshees. I didn’t care because come hell or high water this chair was getting done. I didn’t think to put plastic gloves on because when I am feeling crafty NOTHING is going to stop me. When I finished my hands were covered with paint as well as the tops of my feet because you know real craft divas spray paint barefoot. While the paint was drying I went inside and put my feet up to relax and my 5 year old almost gagged at the sight of the bottoms of my feet. They were hot pink with dirt from the driveway stuck to the paint. I was tired at this point and didn’t care. I cleaned up the project and put the kids to bed and watched some crap TV. The next morning I got up and noticed some hot pink paint on my white sheets. I took a shower and scrubbed my feet, but of course when I got out I left behind two lovely pink footprints. I managed to clean the shower after a few days. I honestly left the pink footprints in the shower intentionally because it drove my husband CRAZY. It’s been 4 days and I still have paint on my feet. It won’t go away!

• Elle October 13, 2011 at 12:14 #

I saw that chair and was so impressed. I think your comment here would’ve been the best Facebook staus update EVER if you put it with the photo of the chair. :D. I need to start calling you Pinky.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who likes to do things to intentionally drive my hubby crazy. Lol! xoxo