The Elf on the Shelf creeps me out. There….I said it.

Maybe I’ve just been oblivious all of these years but it’s the first year that I’ve heard of The Elf on the Shelf. I’ve seen some cutesy things that have been done with this little elf but when it comes down to it, this thing creeps me out.

If my mom had something like this in the house for the holiday season when I was a kid then I think I would have to be in therapy more than once a week.

It could be because I watched Poltergeist when I was really young (the scene with that creepy clown trying to kill that little boy is burned into my brain) but whenever I see this little elf, I picture waking up in the middle of the night to him suffocating me with a pillow or stabbing me in the face.

I’m pretty sure the little hummingbird would be pretty terrified of the thing too.

The creepy ass elf…

Not to be confused with Buddy the Elf…

Photo Credit: New Line Cinema

Of course I’m sure if I woke up with Will Ferrell sitting on a shelf by my bed then that would scare the hell out of me too.

, ,

8 Responses to The Elf on the Shelf creeps me out. There….I said it.

1. Kristen Daukas December 22, 2011 at 06:15 #

No you’re right..EOTS is a creepy little dude. But if you step back and look at dolls in general, they’re ALL creepy looking. EOTS reminds me of the crazy ventriloquist dolls – I fully anticipate his head is going to snap off after rotating viciously many times.
    Kristen Daukas recently posted..Comment on Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas by 4HensandroosterMy Profile

• Elle December 22, 2011 at 19:52 #

I think most dolls are creepy too. It’s so funny because I was thisclose to mentioning in the post that I’d be worried the elf’s head would spin around like something from the Twilight Zone. 🙂

2. Catherine December 22, 2011 at 07:37 #

I am also creeped out by this Elf on the shelf. It would be just my luck that I’d come down the next morning and find him in a different spot when I didn’t put him there. Plus, I just don’t have the energy to “hide” him every morning. My MIL keeps threatening to buy one for the twins. I say if she wants to come over and hide it somewhere new every morning, be my guest. Needless to say, we don’t have one yet.
    Catherine recently posted..I have a Confession…..My Profile

• Elle December 22, 2011 at 07:58 #

Same here. I’m usually tired as it is and on most days I forget to eat until late in the afternoon. I could see the creepy elf sitting in one place the whole season collecting dust. 🙂

3. Sarah K. December 22, 2011 at 07:41 #

My friends elf, Snowflake is REALLY naughty. She has been photographed on an elf sized stripper pole, in bed smoking with Ken and Barbie, drinking from a beer bong among just to name a few. She even showed up on the local police web site for breaking and entering and criminal mischief. Oh and she also filled out an application
    to work at Hooters. Even though the elf is creepy kids love it and adults can have lots of fun with it.

• Elle December 22, 2011 at 07:59 #

Now if my elf did that, that would be pretty damn cool. 😉

4. Marianna Annadanna December 22, 2011 at 11:25 #

I love Buddy the Elf! That other elf is fucking creepy. Agreed.
    Marianna Annadanna recently posted..Trying is the operative wordMy Profile

• Elle December 23, 2011 at 00:50 #

I’m glad the little hummingbird doesn’t know what the hell it is and can’t ask for the creepy ass elf. 🙂