For this weeks writing prompts on Mama KatI chose…

2.) Are you on Pinterest? Share the last five items you pinned, choose one and let it inspire a blog post.

Mama’s Losin’ It

Here are the last five items I’ve pinned. Obviously you can’t tell it was that time of the month when I just want to eat sweets.

~~~

1-2-3 cake (click through the food pics for the recipes)

~~~

Baklava butter

~~~

White Chocolate lemon truffles

~~~

~~~

As much as I like to have chocolate balls in my mouth, I chose Inside A Toddler’s Brain. Thanks to insomnia last night, I made a diagram of my mommy brain.

~~~~~

My daughter will be 3 in April and I’m fascinated and exhausted by her development from day to day. I’m convinced my daughter sneaks into my room at night, stands over me, and sucks out all my energy.

Case in point, after the day I had with an energetic, dancing, running, crankier than usual toddler, I’m currently crashed on the couch and watching Weekend At Bernie’s. Willingly….GASP!

Here are the top ten ways you know your little babe has transitioned into a toddler.

10. You get to hear Elmo’s Song over and over and over again. Sure, I could hear Welcome To The Jungle on a loop and not get tired of it but at least Axl Rose isn’t a furry red monster. Oh wait…..

9. Getting your little one to brush their teeth has become a sport of sorts. You chase them around the house while holding their toothbrush like an Olympic torch. When you finally catch them, they scream bloody murder when you get the toothbrush near their mouth.

8. You love going to Target and can spend hours going through the aisles while pretending it’s a mini vacation but your toddler gets restless only a few minutes in and doesn’t want to sit in the cart any longer. You give in and take them out of the cart and then have to go running after them full speed ahead, sometimes having to push the cart aside so you can grab your toddler before they step in front of someone else’s red cart.

7. Your little one has been given breakfast and lunch and you’re dying to eat something so you sneak into the kitchen for a quick bowl of cereal while they’re playing in the living room. I’m convinced toddlers have the sense of smell that dogs have and while you’re trying to eat, they start calling for you and ask for a snack. With their snack in hand, you go into the living room to give it to them but they spot what you’re eating and want it immediately. Since you can’t deny your child food, one bite becomes two, then three, and before you know it, your breakfast is gone.

6. You thought changing your baby’s diapers were hard but once they hit toddlerhood. they twist themselves in ways you never thought possible which makes putting on their diaper comparable to wrestling an octopus.

5. There’s no need to get them presents. Just give them an empty box inside another box and they’ll think it’s the greatest thing ever. For the little hummingbird’s 2nd birthday she got a playhouse and even though she liked it (I think it’s awesome and wouldn’t mine moving into it), she still preferred a moving box that we ended up placing beside the playhouse.

4. Your sweet little angel can get toddler pms in the blink of an eye.

3. You start to think maybe your toddler is much more energetic than other kids their age so you call your mom to ask if it’s normal. She laughs her ass off and enjoys every minute of it.

2. You thought you had very little time to do things when they were just a baby but realize just how much time you actually had compared to now and want to kick your own ass for not taking advantage of it.

1. Despite everything, you would do it all over again. You never knew you could love someone so much.

, , ,

11 Responses to A toddler is like a Dr. Seuss book. You wonder what they’ve been smoking and don’t always know what they’re talking about.

1. weezafish February 2, 2012 at 03:29 #

So true, all of it. So in love with my two (nearly 2 and 4) and so exhausted by them also. Toddlers are lucky they’re so cute 🙂
    weezafish recently posted..Perfect Parent … Real ParentMy Profile

• Elle February 2, 2012 at 08:22 #

So true! 🙂 My daughter has the cuteness down to a science and can turn the adorable cuteness on faster than I can say “you need to go in time out”.

2. Catherine February 2, 2012 at 07:33 #

My favorite is the food. They can now smell it on my breath and ask if they can have some! I sneakily (I thought) ate a piece of chocolate the other day and then went to play with them. The chocolate was not in my mouth anymore. Will asked if he could have some candy too. What candy? I showed him my hands, I don’t have candy. Yes, in your mouth. Next time I’ll have to sneak celery, I don’t that smells.
    Catherine recently posted..I Guess I Didn’t Knock That Wood Hard EnoughMy Profile

• Elle February 2, 2012 at 09:03 #

That’s too funny. 😉 Usually I need my chocolate fix in the late morning and the hummingbird will just hear the crinkle of the wrapper and instantly know what it is. I tried to mix it up and had a few skittles and she still knew I had the good stuff. 🙂

3. Monica DeLaCruz February 2, 2012 at 07:54 #

omg. so funny. #3, 7, and 8 – could not agree more. hilarious post. loved it. btw – i also pinned your first pins. nice taste! ;o)

• Elle February 2, 2012 at 09:08 #

Thanks, sweetie. I think my mom enjoys my ocassional frantic phone calls about what’s normal a little too much. Lol. xx

4. Susan in the Boonies February 2, 2012 at 08:09 #

In regard to #7? I call that the Vulture Sense: they smell whatever it is and begin circling you.
    And by the way, it’s NOT just toddlers.
    In fact, as they grow older? That sense only heightens; becomes more keen.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news. 😀

Love your title!

• Elle February 2, 2012 at 09:17 #

I love that, vulture sense. :^) I think my daughter has x-ray vision. I had a few hard candies sitting on the coffee table and when she walked into the living room, I put a magazine on top of them. She walked right to it and said candy? candy?

5. dumb mom February 2, 2012 at 08:58 #

Teach her Welcome to the Jungle. But be warned, you will come to hate that song. #3 sings Beat It all. Day. Long. And I have to physically restrain myself from telling him to Beat It and I break into hives whenever I hear the real song. He’s ruined that for me.
    dumb mom recently posted..Writer’s Workshop. Laughter is What I’m Made Of.My Profile

6. Gina February 2, 2012 at 13:12 #

First, I’m dying for one of those White Chocolate Lemon Truffles. I so remember the Target runs. Being a bad Mommy, I timed it around lunch, just before nap so we dined at the snack bar. Something to fill the time. Over from Mama Kat’s.
    Gina recently posted..Tired of All the Blah, Blah, BlahMy Profile

7. Claire Lopez February 3, 2012 at 20:58 #

It’s been awhile for me since my youngest was 2 or 3 (18 years), but you brought it all back! Thanks!
    Claire Lopez recently posted..My Dogs Will Need TherapyMy Profile