Some must haves for newborns.

When I was pregnant with my daughter over three years ago, I was told about all kinds of things that were needed for her. I found that I didn’t need half of what I ended up buying. Here are some things I wouldn’t have been able to live without.

The Fisher-Price rainforest bouncer was the reason I could actually take showers and eat. Of course it doesn’t work wonders so there were times when the hummingbird didn’t want to be in it for long but I got much more done because of it.

We used this swing for my little girl’s naps and when we were desperate because she didn’t want to sleep, we’d put her in her lamb swing. It came back to bite us in the ass when she was about 6 or 7 months old and was depending more and more on the swing.

One time the thing just stopped working (probably because we used it constantly) and it wasn’t because the batteries didn’t have anymore juice. My husband was on a 4 day business trip at the time and I felt like I was going to die of sleep deprivation. There wasn’t a store in our area that had this specific swing so I ordered it online with one day shipping which was brutal but I needed sleep and so did the hummingbird.

This was my favorite book to read to my daughter and she loved it just as much as I did. I memorized it so there were times when I would recite her favorite book without having to have it wherever we went.

We tried a few different things when it came to bathing the little hummingbird but the whale tub was our favorite.

I loved this jumper and the hummingbird started using it when she was 4 months old. She was still pretty floppy but as she got older she would jump so fast and high that I thought she would fly right out of the jumper.

I didn’t discover these Aden + Anais blankets until my daughter was about a year old and she LOVES them. They are her beloved bb’s and we can’t leave the house without one. The muslin blankets are so cozy and I wish they made them for adults.

These blankets are pricey but when I consider how much I spent on swaddling blankets in search of *the* perfect blanket, I probably spent more on the ones that the hummingbird didn’t like.

~~~~~

What are/were some of your favorites for your newborn and what didn’t you need after all?

*I wasn’t paid to endorse any of these products. If I had been paid, I probably would’ve had the title include wooooo hooooo!

, , , ,

27 Responses to Some must haves for newborns.

1. Brandy March 16, 2012 at 10:58 #

They all go up to exercise! Love that book!
    Brandy recently posted..Worms…and not the healing, make you smart kindMy Profile

• Elle March 16, 2012 at 20:17 #

I know! 🙂 I was so sad when my daughter didn’t want me to read it to her anymore.

2. Angie March 16, 2012 at 11:11 #

I used the lamb swing with my daughter. She loved it! I had to quit when she was about 6 months old because she was getting too heavy for it. It was such a lifesaver!
    Angie recently posted..Travel tipsMy Profile

• Elle March 16, 2012 at 20:23 #

It kept some of my sanity. 🙂

3. Sharyn March 16, 2012 at 11:21 #

LOVED the lamb swing! And I’ve put that book on my wish list, thanks for the tip.

• Elle March 16, 2012 at 20:27 #

I know I spent many hours just sitting on the floor, staring at my little girl and the lamb ears would knock her from really cute to cuteness overload. 😀

4. Notmyyearoff March 16, 2012 at 11:24 #

I LOVED the jumperoo! I was gutted when we had to pack it away recently. It’s like a big phase over and I also have one less way of trapping him in something if I need to run to do a quick wee!
    Notmyyearoff recently posted..On My BirthdayMy Profile

• Elle March 16, 2012 at 20:28 #

I used to think I’d get more time to myself when the hummingbird was older. Hahahahahahaha! 😉

5. Michelle March 16, 2012 at 11:36 #

The bouncy seat and the jumperio arE definite must haves! I would also add the baby cage, er, i mean the pack-n-play.
    Michelle recently posted..That Person In The Mirror Is ScaryMy Profile

• Stephanie March 16, 2012 at 18:22 #

We used to call it baby jail.

• Elle March 16, 2012 at 20:31 #

Lol!

• Stephanie March 17, 2012 at 16:52 #

Yeah, it was kind of our “Back to the Future” homage.

• Elle March 16, 2012 at 20:33 #

@Michelle I loved the pack and play but my daughter would scream her head off most of the time when she was in it. Now that I think about it, I should have climbed in it to get some alone time. 🙂

6. Chelsea March 16, 2012 at 13:14 #

The bouncey seat for bebe, a sliding rocker for me, a pack and play for bebe and a book about sleep training to read on those sleepless nights;) I found a boppy pillow to be helpful with breast-feeding and propping the bebe up for tummy time etc.
    Chelsea recently posted..They’re HERE! T-shirts that are sure to offend many!My Profile

• Elle March 16, 2012 at 20:35 #

I really loved the boppy pillow more than I thought I would. I’d prop my daughter up or put her on it so I could go and pee. :).

7. Stephanie March 16, 2012 at 16:25 #

We had an exer-saucer that my son loved and would live in all day if I’d let him. I got to shower and clean without wondering where he was. For my daughter it was prison and I was screwed.

My son also loved his pack-n-play. He’d sit in there contentedly when he did actually get tired of the exer-saucer. (Seriously, I DID hold him a lot!) For my daughter, yep, prison, still screwed. I never got anything done once she could crawl.

The Wii. I could entertain my son while nursing my daughter. I got so good at it that I had to re-learn games once she’d weaned herself.

Resinol. The best. butt-paste. ever. You have to get it from the pharmacist, but you don’t need a prescription. It’s a little pricy, but a tub would last us close to a year. Cleared up diaper rash like a charm.

• Elle March 16, 2012 at 21:27 #

I’ll definitely have to look into Resinol because the hummingbird has had a diaper rash for almost a week and nothing is helping it. Thanks for the tips! 🙂

• Stephanie March 17, 2012 at 16:50 #

It’s a standard in my baby shower gift set. My cousin told me about it when my son’s diaper rash was awful. Now I feel like I need to pass it on whenever i can.

There are two tubs. Make sure to get the bigger one.

8. Catherine@happinessafterheartache March 16, 2012 at 18:05 #

Bouncer and swing were AWESOME!! Especially that lamb swing. I wish we had bought two the same….but we never knew which would be better so we almost always bought two different versions so that we didn’t get screwed twice. They loved their jumpers and exersaucers, but it didn’t seem like they got as much use out of them as the other two because once they could move around on their own they didn’t want to be confined. 🙂
    Catherine@happinessafterheartache recently posted..Flu to 8KMy Profile

• Elle March 16, 2012 at 21:12 #

Same here. We got the lamb swing for the upstairs and the rainforest swing for downstairs and she couldn’t stand that one.

9. vickie March 16, 2012 at 18:37 #

We LOVED the My Little Lamb Swing as well….and a sound machine with nice soothing tunes and built-in projector for the ceiling was a must-have as well (and still is)!
    vickie recently posted..It’s List Time! 12 Month-old ToysMy Profile

• Elle March 16, 2012 at 21:17 #

A sound machine is a great thing to have. 🙂

10. Chelsea March 17, 2012 at 10:31 #

Another must have: a vivid imagination. On those really rough days when bebe was inconsolably crabby I would pretend she wasn’t my kid, I was just the nanny and I got paid by the hour in puppies. Then I was like “That’s way too many puppies, they aren’t cute anymore. Good thing I have this screaming infant instead!” It sounds insane/horrible but it helped to laugh and put things in a different perspective:)

• Elle March 17, 2012 at 12:56 #

That’s a really good idea! Next week I’ll try that. Anything that helps us from going insane with our crazy and cranky kids is genius!

Can I also pretend Ryan Gosling is at my house feeding me chocolates while I lie on the couch? And you won’t tell anyone, right? This will be our little secret. 😉

11. WeezaFish March 17, 2012 at 22:18 #

I had NOTHING like this for my two, wish I had they’re cool! There was a bouncy chair … oh, and a Ball Pit. Little canvas pit full of balls (and Teddy Bears etc, anything soft) They would happily roll around in there while I showered and the like.
    WeezaFish recently posted..Well I Never … No. 4My Profile

• Elle March 18, 2012 at 08:37 #

I would’ve loved to have a ball pit. I used to love them as a kid so if I got one for my daughter, she’d probably have to fight me for it. ;D xx

12. Melissa March 20, 2012 at 05:32 #

The Sleep Sheep! We didn’t discover it until she was almost 6 months old but I wish we had found it sooner. It’s a sound machine hidden in a fluffy sheep that you can hang on the crib. There are different sounds –rainforest, heartbeat, whale (??)– but the one that worked for us was the waves. The white noise really helped Jr. sleep!