What’s for lunch? 3/27/12

The hummingbird is such a picky eater. She could live off of peanut butter sandwiches, mac n’ cheese, and her glug glug (goldfish crackers). Since she started preschool last month, I’ve been struggling to give her more variety.

She absolutely won’t eat meat so that makes it a little more challenging to come up with lunch ideas for her.

The little hummingbird is only going to preschool 2 half days a week and the hubby and I have noticed that she rarely eats anything at school. The hummingbird usually comes home with most of her lunch left.

Last night I got the idea to chronicle her lunches not only so I can remember them but also in case there are any other parents out there trying to come up with ideas.

I haven’t decided if I’ll do a post every one or two weeks but I’ll try to make it a regular thing. Also, if you have any lunch ideas, especially vegetarian ones, you can email me & tell me what’s for lunch along with a photo and I’ll add it to my “What’s for lunch” posts.

Here’s the hummingbird’s lunch for today. I took the photo with my cell so the picture didn’t turn out that great. It has this blueish color that makes it look like a smurf crime scene. At least it does on my laptop. Anyway….

From left to right: Greek yogurt with honey and sliced almonds, mini Triscuits with Babybel cheese, and mixed berry applesauce.

, , ,

17 Responses to What’s for lunch? 3/27/12

1. Sam M March 27, 2012 at 10:14 #

It’s nice to know that I don’t have the only anti-meat toddler.

• Matthew Miller March 28, 2012 at 09:01 #

My son is almost 4. For most of the last year we’ve been able to get him to sporadically eat turkey meatballs, but only because a girl from school he’s friends with said she likes them.

About a month or two ago we started getting him to eat cheeseburgers, because we describe them as a “messy (grilled) cheese sandwich with a burger.”

For a long time we were able to get him to eat meat and vegetables by dicing both up into Couscous, fried rice or kasha, all of which we can get him to eat.

• Elle March 29, 2012 at 08:26 #

Great ideas, thanks so much! My daughter loves large couscous cooked with vegetarian broth so maybe I can sneak a little meat in it. Or some vegetarian meat. 🙂

• Elle March 29, 2012 at 08:29 #

@ Sam – It can be so hard to give her variety when she won’t eat meat. I used to be a vegetarian so I know some recipes I used to love but none have been the hummingbird’s cup of tea. xx
      Elle recently posted..What’s for lunch? 3/27/12My Profile

2. Emily Fowler March 27, 2012 at 11:02 #

Does she likes eggs? A hardboiled egg can make a good lunch box item. I know that Roni on greenlitebites.com (or ronisweigh.com) has a section about her son’s lunches, which include pretty healthy stuff and at least some vegetarian days.

3. Angie March 27, 2012 at 11:03 #

My daughter is kind of picky, but one thing she loves is hummus. I love it because it is packed full of protein and fiber. She eats it straight out of the bowl.
    Angie recently posted..Classy LadyMy Profile

• Elle March 29, 2012 at 08:16 #

That is a really good idea. Thanks, Angie! I love hummus so when the hummingbird sees me eating it she gets curious. I think I’ll try to just make her hummus with garbonzo beans & olive oil because she doesn’t seen to like the flavoring in regular hummus. It might be the tad of garlic or the tahini she doesn’t care for. I could eat hummus by the gallon. 😉 xx

4. Emily Fowler March 27, 2012 at 11:21 #

(hit the button too soon…)

Was going to say- “That might be a good place to look for ideas.”

Does she like taquitos? Trader Joes has black bean and cheese ones that my son loves (and loved as a toddler/preschooler).

• Elle March 29, 2012 at 08:20 #

She sometimes likes to eat the egg white part of a hard boiled egg but she doesn’t like the yolk. The taquitos sound so good. I’m a Trader Joe’s junkie but haven’t seen the bean & cheese taquitos. The hummingbird loves mexican food and black beans so I need to give it a try. Hopefully I can make that lunch without eating any of the taquitos. 😀

• Matthew Miller March 29, 2012 at 08:47 #

You should be able to use plastic wrap and kitchen twine to make a hard boiled egg using just egg whites. You can use the process in this video, but instead of an actual egg, try pasteurized egg whites from the grocery store.

The main reason to do this is to not waste egg yolks, but it also gives you some options for preparing packaged lunches that don’t involve the kid having to peel egg shells without making a mess. For adults, this gives you the option of pre-seasoning some egg whites and creating a low cholesterol version of a hard boiled egg.
        Matthew Miller recently posted..He just felt like yelling for the fun of itMy Profile

• Emily March 29, 2012 at 09:16 #

The taquitos are in the freezer section and you can heat them a few at a time in the microwave 🙂

5. WeezaFish March 28, 2012 at 05:13 #

Vegetarian Mum here! The kids aren’t, but sometimes they want to “eat what Mummy’s eating” so I have to kidify my lunches a bit. Wraps are good, make a salad with everything the Hummingbird will eat (for mine, it’s mainly avo, nuts, cheese, ham or chicken) and wrap it. I agree with Angie, Hummus is loved in our house too and very good for you. And they love dunking, so sticks of carrots and hummus always gets scoffed. Also works with soft or cottage cheese. Fruit? Little bags of nuts and raisins. Variety is the key ey? It’s hard trying to keep it exciting and fun for them sometimes. My eldest, four, complained yesterday when I asked him what he had for morning snack at preschool that they “always give us the same boring old thing Mummy”. When I asked him what boring old thing they always give him he replied “cake”. Ha! Even cake every day can get boring I guess 🙂
    WeezaFish recently posted..You Definitely Cannot Eat Off My Kitchen FloorMy Profile

• Elle March 29, 2012 at 08:23 #

You rock girl! The little hummingbird loves dipping things so I’ll have to try that. She LOVES fruit so maybe making mini pancakes with a fruit topping would be a good idea.

6. Chelsea March 29, 2012 at 12:57 #

What about having her help pack her own lunch? Oftentimes when Mississippi have to help prepare their own special menu they drop the picky eating routine. Then again, some kids are just genuinely snickety;)
    Chelsea recently posted..They’re HERE! T-shirts that are sure to offend many!My Profile

7. michelej March 29, 2012 at 15:48 #

I have a special-needs little guy, and I’ve struggled to get him to eat snacks and lunch that I pack. In September, I started something new…

Using pencil, crayons and white card stock, I made a chart with 3 spaces per day of the school week – snack and lunch (main item & veggie). On another sheet, I drew food things (spaced out, so I could cut them apart to fit the squares) like carrots, almonds & cranberries, broccoli & ranch dressing, apples & cheese, a variety of sandwiches, etc. I laminated both and then cut out all the little squares, and stuck double-stick tape to each of them and let him choose which to put on what day.

Because he got to pick what he wanted, he was willing to eat it – plus, each day I would show it to him before school, reminding him of what to expect.

Worked for us – worth the bit of time. Plus, for me, drawing with crayons is therapeutic. 🙂

8. Lori March 31, 2012 at 09:12 #

My daughter, now 21, ate nothing but cheese for years. Cheese sandwiches, cheese quesadillas, cheese and crackers, mac and cheese once in a great while an apple if I cut it up just right. ( meaning like a jacko’lantern.) I could never get her to eat meat. Now she is a junior in college and is a committed vegetarian and actually eats vegetables. They do survive.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. » What’s For Lunch? Bento style This Is Mommyhood - May 27, 2012

[…] been forgetting to take photos of the hummingbird’s lunch but here are some from this month. Pretend you don’t see the bad food photography and hard […]