Single Parenthood

Before I was a year old, my parents were divorced and I didn’t even hear from or meet my biological dad until I was 9. It was just me and my mom for 6 or so years before my stepdad entered the picture.

During those years I watched my mom work her ass off so she could take care of us. I remember we had plenty of meals that consisted of pot pies since that was all she could afford.

We moved around quite a bit because once rent was due, she wouldn’t always have the money so it was on to the next place, some more scary interesting than the others.

She had several jobs but one thing I remember very clearly is that as much as she worked, I never felt like she wasn’t there for me. I also can’t remember a single time that I lacked for anything.

I have a very soft spot for single parents and would love to hear your story. You can write about anything you want when it comes to single parenthood and I’ll post them here. It doesn’t matter if you have a blog or not, write away.

Send the posts to elle dot mommyhood at gmail com. You can also add any pictures you want. If you’d like to remain anonymous, just let me know.

, ,

6 Responses to Single Parenthood

1. Jody Brettkelly April 7, 2012 at 11:35 #

Hi nice to meet you, came through The Bloggess (sp?) Have to say single parents back then – and now – are the real heroes.

• Elle April 7, 2012 at 12:25 #

That’s so true!

2. Kate April 8, 2012 at 09:18 #

I read the single parent hero thing all the time. My son is 10. His father has never met him, and he’s never asked about his father. Every father’s day I think, this will be the year he asks about him.. He never does. It’s a hard row to hoe, I don’t feel like a hero. I feel tired and less than enough. My boy thinks I’m wonderful, he saved my life. I wouldn’t be where I am today without him.

• WeezaFish April 9, 2012 at 02:23 #

Kate – I think your son is right. I have a huge amount of respect, I know it’s often against choice and must be hard to get your head up from the mayhem, so to speak, and find time for yourself but I hope you do and some days you feel like the superhero you are.
      WeezaFish recently posted..I Wanna Girl!!My Profile

3. Marianna Annadanna April 9, 2012 at 11:34 #

My Momma was a single mom too. Love her.
    Marianna Annadanna recently posted..I had a run-in with a grumpy old bitch in the grocery storeMy Profile

4. MOV April 9, 2012 at 16:11 #