Parenting and Religion

I have a secret, I’ve been hiding, under my skin. Wait! That’s Mr. Roboto.

I’ve kept my religious beliefs quiet until now and the fact is my husband and I just aren’t religious….my hubby more so than me.

While I was growing up, my family didn’t really have many religious beliefs but my husband’s family is very religious. That’s not to say I don’t respect people’s religious beliefs.

Because my husband is in the military, people seem to just assume that we think a certain way. Military co-workers assume we’re very conservative in our thinking but it’s just not true.

I want my daughter to respect and understand that not everyone thinks the same and that’s okay. I don’t believe that there’s a “wrong” religion or a “right” way to live your life.

The times I’ve been comfortable going to church is when my husband and I would go to the Universal Unitarian church. We might start going again but honestly, I love to sleep in on weekends.

My husband and I are neither Rebublican or Democrat. I guess you can say we’re independant.

As my daughter get’s older, I’ve been trying to figure out how to answer questions she may have about religion. To be honest, I have no fucking clue what I’m going to tell her.

The main thing I want for my daughter is for her to be a good person who respects others’ faith as well as a difference in peoples beliefs and lifestyle. Whether people are Atheist, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, etc., I want to teach my daughter that it’s not okay to hate because someone has different beliefs than her.

*steps down from soapbox*

When it comes to religion and spiritual beliefs, what are you teaching your children?

, , ,

10 Responses to Parenting and Religion

1. Emily Fowler April 19, 2012 at 20:58 #

We try to make sure that our son knows that most religions have some version of the basic golden rule- treat other people like you’d want to be treated. If you can really live by those words, you’re probably doin’ alright. We also let him explore and encourage him to learn about (and attend) events that are based around different religions.

2. Shannon April 20, 2012 at 03:45 #

I always wanted to make sure my son understood the difference between who ‘knew they were right’ vs those who had conviction in their beliefs. We’ve always discussed different religions and their ideals, but I have always pushed forth the idea of secular morality. Which is kinda cool, cos so does the Dalai Lama…

3. Denise April 20, 2012 at 06:13 #

Our son is only 4, so my husband answers most of his questions with, “You aren’t old enough to worry about that right now.”

We aren’t religious; the religions we’ve been exposed to just don’t make sense to our logic stream. If, after he is older, our son decides to go to church (or temple, or synogogue, or cabal, or drum-circle), he can. And we will encourage him to explore his faith. We just don’t know how to help him approach all religions with an open mind if we start him out in a religion that describes itself as the “one true word”.

4. Jen - ConcreteNCoffee April 20, 2012 at 07:26 #

At 2-1/2, our daughter is nowhere near ready to grasp the concept of religion. We’re not Christian, much to some of my family members’ chagrin, but once she starts asking questions I’ll do my best to explain things from a neutral point of view. I’m not going to worry about it until then, though!

5. Lainey April 20, 2012 at 09:33 #

My ex husband is Christian and when he has the boys, they go to church about 70% of the time. I don’t identify with any one religion so I make sure to take the opportunity to expose them to all kinds of other religions. I have read them pards of the bible, but I have also read to them from many different religious books that are geared towards children. Unfortunately, because he goes to church, he is being told that there IS a God instead of being informed of how some people believe. I agree completely with Emily, the biggest thing is instilling the sense of treating others how you would be treated. I don’t get into arguments with anyone about the existance of God, and I tell my boys that there was a man named Jesus who was a teacher and he taught wonderful lessons about how to be a good person – and I leave it at that. Oh, and my boys are 7 and 9 so you have an idea of where we are developmentally.

6. Sharyn April 20, 2012 at 14:21 #

We don’t have to face this issue for a while (muffin is only 6 mos. old) but I’ve thought about it a bit. If I had to put labels on it, I’m an atheist and my hubs is agnostic. My parents are both pretty religious. I think for us it’s going to be a matter of teaching our daughter that, “Some people believe X, and others Y, Mom & Dad have thought about it and have concluded Z. You should learn about all types of beliefs and make your own choice one day.” I’m with Emily, treat others as you would like to be treated. Or in my coworker’s words, “Just be cool.”
    Sharyn recently posted..Photo-a-day: Part IIMy Profile

7. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust April 20, 2012 at 18:40 #

I’m totally with you. Neither my husband nor I were raised with religion. We live in a very religious area and are constantly asked where we go to church. Right now I do a bible school in summer, because it’s fun and cheap. She’s asked about church but Im undecided about that.
    Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust recently posted..Whatever FridayMy Profile

8. WeezaFish April 21, 2012 at 02:47 #

I’m atheist, hubby undecided and we also teach our kids to respect and learn about different beliefs and religions. We teach them that different people believe different things, and that’s okay. Hopefully future generations will be more tolerant, less wars and terrorism in the name of deitys would be cool, huh?!
    WeezaFish recently posted..Heard in My House .. Tallen Changed His MindMy Profile

9. Stephanie April 21, 2012 at 17:22 #

I was raised Presbyterian and my kids and I attend a Presbyterian church. I walked away from the church for many years, but felt the desire to go back for myself, not because it was expected of me. I believe it’s important for my kids to have a good foundation, but I also teach them to respect others’ beliefs. My husband believes spirituality is more important than any one religion, and with his background I can understand why he feels that way.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks