Surviving a 3 year-old, you’re screwed.

I’ll just get right to the point. The little hummingbird has become this little ball of fire with her willfull ways and we’re making each other mental kind of driving each other crazy.

She’s normally a sweet, mild-mannered little girl that goes with the flow but lately she’s been, well, a pain in the butt. I’m a stubborn pain in the ass so I don’t know why it’s so hard for me to believe that she could be like this but it’s become a battle of wills with us.

I’m usually more of the disciplinarian but I’ve noticed that even my hubby seems thrown off. It’s especially difficult when she does something that’s hilarious and then we have to keep a straight face.

A few nights ago, we were having dinner and she got into my not so hidden chocolate stash and grabbed a rolo that was still wrapped up.

My husband told her no and when she wouldn’t listen, he got up from the table to take it away from her. Instead of giving him the rolo, she shoved the whole thing, wrapper and all, into her mouth to hide the evidence.

It’s like she was a little goat and I couldn’t stop laughing no matter how I tried. It’s hard to discipline her when I’m practically rolling on the floor, laughing so hard I can’t breathe.

She also likes to announce to the world that “mommy peed herself” when I laugh a little too much.

Kids: 1,755, Mom’s Dignity: 0.

Being 3 is much harder than when she was 2. I think I need to start drinking more. I just know this is a glimpse of what it will be like when she’s a teen and I’m so screwed.

If you have older kids, how did/do you survive? It’s going to get worse, isn’t it? Just how screwed am I? Get your mind out of the gutter, perv.

, , ,

6 Responses to Surviving a 3 year-old, you’re screwed.

1. sam June 11, 2012 at 13:28 #

Mine are 1, 3, and 15. So far three and fifteen are the worst. Three is SO hard!
    sam recently posted..Happy Mothers’ DayMy Profile

2. monica June 11, 2012 at 17:25 #

three is really hard. we find ourselves dying of laughter, too with stuff she does. that just encourages her for the next time around – which invariably is worse. she gets a lot of egging on from her siblings – which is tough, too. and they are always laughing at her. so hard.
    monica recently posted..How To Blind Yourself While Away From Home, Part 1My Profile

3. Angie June 11, 2012 at 17:29 #

Oh no! I was hoping it became easier as they aged. Mine just turned two and she is being very stubborn lately. I was hoping three would be easier.
    Angie recently posted..Happy birthday HannahMy Profile

4. Emily Fowler June 12, 2012 at 09:17 #

There’s a nice break, though, from about 5-8 years old, to help you rest up for the fun that is pre-teen hormones (which are, of course, just the appetizer in the 5 course meal that is the teen years).

5. Stephanie June 13, 2012 at 13:06 #

I once read that 3 is 2 with intent. Yup, my daughter knows EXACTLY what she’s doing.

My son is now 5 and I remember that at 4 he was super sweet. Then he turned 5. His preschool teacher has taught preschoolers for 27 years, and she told me there wasn’t any amount of money you could pay her to get her to teach kindergarten because a few months after they turn 5 they start with The Attitude. I’ll let you know how 6 is if he survives 5.

6. Rose June 14, 2012 at 11:14 #

I have two teenagers and two toddlers right now. They are eerily similar–both are self absorbed and think the world revolves around their needs. If you can get past that annoying tidbit the kids are great! 😉

But seriously, the teenagers just get better at hiding the Rolo from you and maybe you spend a lot more time worrying about them because they can get into a lot more trouble than if they were a 2 year old eating a Rolo…Rolo’s aren’t on the top of my list of things not to do for my teens!

I told my son yesterday that I worry about him all the time. He gave me a confused look, as if he’d never done anything wrong or made a mistake, and asked “why?”. I said because I’m your mom and I will worry about you every day of my life, even when you are 45 with a wife and teenagers of your own. Maybe he’ll understand when he’s a parent!