My mother-in-law needs to take the stick out of her ass.

I completely forgot to write about this after my in-laws left after their visit at the end of August. The visit with them was miserable as usual, no big surprise.

The second day that they were here, I was actually having an okay time with them. Yeah, it shocked the hell out o me too.

We went to a river so the hummingbird could splash around and have some fun.

My MIL and I were sitting at a picnic table and were having a pretty decent conversation.

We sort of bonded because there were these three really obnoxious guys at the river, drinking beer and dropping the f bomb every chance they got and we were getting annoyed with them.

While I got more comfortable with MIL, I started to think we may have turned a corner in our relationship and was feeling pretty happy.

That’s when I let my guard down and was chatting with her and thinking how great it was that I didn’t feel like stabbing her.

We were watching the hubby and hummingbird having a good time splashing in the river and I thought to myself “this is how I’ve always wanted it to be with my in-laws”.

That feeling didn’t last long.

Out of the blue, my MIL said If something happened to the hubby or he died, who would get the little hummingbird?

HUH?

WTF?!

Then she said I think we should take her if something happens to the hubby.

SERIOUSLY Lady?!

I told her no, I would be the one to raise her, not them. We’ll see about that, she said.

I had plenty of words for her but I got up and started walking back to the car.

How in the world would she think they would get my daughter if something happened to my husband?! That’s fucking insanity.

Needless to say, I hid from them during the rest of their stay so I wouldn’t end up strangling her.

It’s just beyond me why she thinks I wouldn’t be the one to raise my own daughter. She really thinks so little of me and after 17 years of her treatment, I’m done.

I don’t care how harsh I come off. Next time they visit, I plan on speaking my mind if she’s going to pull her tacky bullshit like she usually does.

It’s been a long time coming and after everything I’ve put up with and kept quiet about, it’s time to stick up for myself.

Do you have in-law issues? Rant about it in the comments.

, , , ,

10 Responses to My mother-in-law needs to take the stick out of her ass.

1. Emily Fowler October 25, 2012 at 10:00 #

I’m so sorry you have to deal with that…hope Hubby tells her that he wouldn’t trust anyone with the Hummingbird but you.

In my case, it is my mother that is whack-a-doodle (certified- though not until after I graduated and moved out…so my sis and I grew up with *un-medicated* whack-a-doodle). The universe took pity on me and gave me a lovely mother-in-law, probably figuring (rightly) that putting two women like my mother in anyone’s life would be downright mean.

2. Angie October 25, 2012 at 10:56 #

Why in the world would they take a little girl from her mother just after her father died? What in the world is she thinking? Oh my goodness! That makes my MIL look normal.

Mine hasn’t worked in 2 1/2 years (even though she is perfectly capable of working) and then complains she can’t see her granddaughter. We have paid for airfare twice for her to visit us. I am sure we will have to do it again so she can visit after I have this baby.
    Angie recently posted..Fitting InMy Profile

3. Amberoni13 October 25, 2012 at 18:23 #

WHAT the EVER LOVING FUCK? OK, my in laws are also completely insane (such a long story, no way at all to get into it now), but at least my husband has the decency to preempt insanity like this. When he and I went to Europe for a week and left our daughter with my parents, we left a will specifying that my parents get her if something happened to us both. He wrote it, then told his parents in a recorded conversation so they could never claim they didn’t know about it. I just stood back and silently cheered. I remain amazed that my nutty agoraphobic engineer husband turned out as well-adjusted as he did. Or that he survived childhood at all.

4. This is Jane October 26, 2012 at 08:04 #

So, two things. Maybe three. If she’s talking about it, that probably means she’s researched grandparent rights in your state – it’s a very serious issue that, unfortunately affects many widowers with minor children today. Now you know.

Also, for your drama llama, you might want to check out the DWIL forum on babycenter.

5. Katie October 27, 2012 at 06:40 #

Why on gods green earth are you having any interaction with this woman?

I have an IL with similar issues. Guess how many times she’s seen my two year old? Once. My husband and I do not allow her to visit because she is so disrespectful.

Why hide in your room the weekend? Call her on her crap and tell her she has to leave NOW.

What did your husband say or do?

6. Allison October 27, 2012 at 13:14 #

WOW. Just. WOW. I haven’t experienced this with my MIL…..yet. I feel your WTF
    Allison recently posted..the word on the street….My Profile

7. dysfunctional mom October 27, 2012 at 19:08 #

That’s freaking ridiculous.
    My last MIL was one of the reasons I kicked the husband to the curb. Enough is enough.
    dysfunctional mom recently posted..Quick FragsMy Profile

8. Rachel October 28, 2012 at 00:29 #

Whoa, That is out of control.

My MIL is a godsend (and coming from this non believing, destined for damnation soul, that is saying a lot).

But my actual mother accused me of nearly killing her while I was BEING BORN, and then giving her anxiety for years because she had to get blood donated to her during the AIDs scare in the 1980’s, again, due to my birth. Shockingly she did not die or contract AIDS. Can’t make this shit up, I have the emails AND voicemails to prove it.

Good luck.

(just stumbled across your blog… i LOVE it)
    Rachel recently posted..The BreakupMy Profile

9. Pat Carroll February 6, 2013 at 10:59 #

I hate to say it, but your MIL is evil. I am not speaking hyperbole. If hope you never speak to her again. Even better, never speak OF her again. And oh, how sad for your husband. HE had to grow up with that.