Pretending to be an adult.

Pretending-to-be-a-functioning-adultI’m in my mid thirties and I feel like I’m still waiting to become a grown up.

The main reason is that most of the time, I don’t know what the hell I’m doing.

With each year that passes, I’m starting to realize that I can’t be the only adult who feels this way.

I remember my mom being my age and I used to think she had it all figured out.

I don’t have most things figured out, especially motherhood.

When I brought my daughter home from the hospital, I thought all the answers would fly into my brain and I would transform into mom of the year overnight.

That didn’t happen.

When it comes to my nearly 4 year-old, most of the time I feel like I’m just “playing house” because I never expected to be so clueless this many years in.

I just don’t feel my age.

I like to stay up late and I still sometimes use “totally” and “awesome” in the same sentence. Me? A grown up? Nah.

I look at my daughter and think she knows much more than I do already. Then I start thinking she’d be better off being raised by wolves.

Okay, maybe not but you get what I mean.

I have a house, a wonderful family, a job, bills to pay, and two cats. I’m just waiting to catch up to my age.

Do you feel like a grown up or do you feel like you’re sometimes pretending too?

, , ,

7 Responses to Pretending to be an adult.

1. Emily Fowler February 21, 2013 at 08:26 #

I feel like a split personality- I usually feel like a mom when I’m with my son (though the adjective in front of ‘mom’ can range from ‘good’ to ‘horrific’ on any given day), but when it’s just me, I feel like I’m exactly the same age I was when I graduated from college…almost 17 years ago.

2. Angie February 21, 2013 at 13:43 #

I definitely don’t feel like a grown up. I feel like most days I am playing house. When people call me a mom, I still kind of look at them like they are crazy. Sometimes I forget I am 33 because most days I still feel like a 24 year old who is house sitting.
    Angie recently posted..Moving stinksMy Profile

3. thedavidcmurphy February 21, 2013 at 15:44 #

Sometimes “Totally awesome” IS the sentence.

But yeah, I’m 100% with you. I’m borderline incapable of being a parent. If it weren’t for my wife, my son and I would likely be dead :P. But seriously, my maternal grandparents had 12 kids (paternals only had 6 – amatuers). How? It must have been inbuilt back then to have kids. Now the TV and DVD player carry a lot of responsibility.
    thedavidcmurphy recently posted..Hey Roomie!My Profile

4. Poppy February 21, 2013 at 18:28 #

Same.
    Poppy recently posted..missMy Profile

5. Fiona February 21, 2013 at 19:36 #

I totally get that. I’m 35 and due to give birth any day now. I’m still amazed that i’m a grown up and constantly wonder how the hell i got past 17?! I still feel like i’m pretending at this and some one will come up and tell me they have found out….And now I get to be a mum?! And they want me to take this baby home and keep it alive and stuff? Holy crap!

6. F. February 22, 2013 at 15:55 #

Grown up? Yeah, no. Not happening. I just fake the rest so they don’t take my kids away.. ;)

7. Stacey February 24, 2013 at 13:55 #

Yeah, I’m totally faking it. Can someone please explain my 401k to me?
    Stacey recently posted..One & DoneMy Profile