Redrum2-1Since the hubby’s in the Navy, we never really know where we’ll be sent next but got the inside scoop that there was a job opening in Ventura, CA at the end of the year. The job there for my husband seemed like a pretty done deal.

I was so excited since we wanted to stay on the west coast anyway and will be calling Seattle home in 3 or so years.

Then a bomb was dropped on us. As usual, my husband waited until the last possible second of the day, around 11pm, to tell me that he got word that the military will be sending us to coastal Maine in July.

Gulp!

Holy culture shock, Batman!

I have nothing against Maine and think it will actually be pretty cool (even with a ton of snow) but I’ve always been a California girl and planned out the next 3 years with us staying in Cali. We currently live in Northern California and have for nearly 3 years.

I just want to make it clear that I don’t hate that I’m moving to Maine, just that I’m already homesick for California and would be that way no matter where we moved…. even if it was to my beloved Seattle.

When my husband and I were living in D.C. years ago, he was sent up to Bath, Maine about 3 or 4 times for business and he loved it.

Everything I know about Maine, I learned from Stephen King, which doesn’t really help.

From what I’ve seen of it, it looks gorgeous.

I just never expected that we would actually be moving there. We don’t offically have the orders so it may change but that’s not likely.

The only thing I’m really freaking out about there is all of that snow. Sure it may be fun at first, but then it will snow and snow and snow and snow.

I just picture blizzards, no electricity, and all of us stuck in the house, driving each other insane.

REDRUM!! REDRUM!!

I can see myself going crazy with cabin fever and writing over and over… “All work and no play makes Elle a dull girl”.

The Shining2I have to be honest… my other big fear is that the weather will worsen my depression. That scares me to no end.

I’ve been taking one step forward and three steps back with depression and while it’s more of an improvement than it used to be, I’m still struggling with depression and anxiety quite frequently.

Especially now, since this will be such a big change in our lives. The panic attacks have picked up no matter how much I try not to stress.

I really need to see if I can go back to my therapist (who I stopped seeing late last year) for a little “tune-up”.

The bright side is we’ll be close-ish to Boston and I’m hoping we’ll be able to make a few trips down to NYC while we’re living there.

I’m going to try and drink a bottle of shut the fuck up, stop my whining, and think of how nice it will be to move to Maine.

If you live there now or have ever lived there, please let me know what I should be expecting. Does it really snow buckets? Will we be trapped inside the house all winter while I’m at my computer writing “All work and no play makes Elle a dull girl”?

, , , , , , ,

8 Responses to This is going to require a lot of snuggies. That, or we turn into Jack Nicholson’s character in The Shining. I’m going with the latter.

1. Kristen March 25, 2013 at 12:48 #

My Personal Chef is from Maine–Dresen, the next town over from Bath, in fact. Coastal Maine is not nearly as snowy as the rest of Maine. It’s not Cali, but it’s not like Minnesota or upstate NY. Honest!

The winter is long, but beautiful. Coastal Maine is pretty populous. It’ll hardly be like the isolated, snowed in winter from The Shining. ( You should start reading Stephen King’s books about the Red Sox. They’ll put you in a less freaked out mood. Better yet, start reading Robert McCloskey and Barbara Cooney books to the Hummingbird. They really understand the allure of Maine. McCloskey’s “Blueberries for Sal” is a classic. Cooney’s “Miss Rumphius” is so uplifting and beautiful.)

It’s a beautiful part of the world. I think you will find it has a real magic to it. Plus, it’s only 2 hours or so from Boston and only 3 hours from my house on the Massachusetts/Rhode Island border. We could plan an epic mommyblogfest. Which is a bit like a Maine Lobsterfest, only with more wine and less melted butter. (I hardly know you. It would be inappropriate to break out the melted butter so early in our [virtual] relationship.)

Moving sucks. Maine does not. Really. LL BEAN is from Maine! Whoopie Pies come from Maine. Both good things! And Maine is really far away from your MIL, right? Another good thing.

Anything I can do to help you out–even just as a supportive e-pal, name it. I have a cousin who was stationed in Brunswick for about 5 years and I have a nephew stationed in Kittery right now. If you ever need some ground reconn. about pediatricians, preschools, places to shop and play, whatever, I can ask ’em.

Mostly, though, know that you aren’t really making the move alone. Your readers will follow you. We’re rooting for you!

Peace, Kristen
    Kristen recently posted..Hiking Mt. WhelmMy Profile

• Elle March 25, 2013 at 17:11 #

I love you, girl! You’ve made me feel so much better. I was thinking it’s a really isolated place. I do hear that the food there is amazing (the hubby told me so). If anything, I’ll eat my way through coastal Maine. ๐Ÿ™‚

Also, bring on the wine and the blogfest!!! We’ll save the melted butter for Ryan Gosling. ๐Ÿ˜‰

2. Kate March 26, 2013 at 19:30 #

Just happened upon your blog today, love it. And I am from Maine, and love it, think you will too. Buckets of snow happen, and this is actually fun. Jump in a snowbank, make snow men, go sliding – it’s good fun. It’s the melty, gray muddy days that can get you down. It’s best to take some extra vitamin D, and invest in good outdoor gear – and learn to enjoy cocoa and boardgames. I finally learned to appreciate long underwear in my adulthood – totally makes being outside fun (or at least tolerable when you have to be outside in January). Yes, you might want a Snuggie, or a good bathrobe and slippers from LLBean.

Coastal Maine, where we live, and where we meet many great guard families is fabulous. Not the same as West Coast beaches, but wonderful in their own way, The ocean is beautiful after a snow storm. Cool rocks, seaglass, crabs and starfish in tide pools. And there’s the New England attitude – we wait all year for summer and so we really appreciate it when it arrives. This is true for food too. We wait all year for strawberries, and they are great for about 2 weeks. Followed by blueberry picking, and then peaches and then apples. Right now we are tapping for maple syrup.

And there is Portland – very cool little city and Boston – less than 2 hours from Southern Maine. Check out Portsmouth NH too –

In all honesty, you can feel isolated in New England. There is the tendency to batten the hatches and keep to yourself when the cold comes. We can be friendly but not open. This last snow storm, the day before spring, . And this is why we have good friends and book clubs that have nothing to do with books and everything to do with swearing, and wine and good food.

Good luck – and should you find yourself all alone in Maine, send up a line. We can show you all the good beaches where you can dodge the tourists, or how to put boots and mittens on your little one to keep the snow out – because cold wrists and ankles are a game ender.

• Elle March 26, 2013 at 23:35 #

Thank you, Kate! Swearing, wine and good food? I’m in. Also, I love monopoly and make a mean cup of cocoa! ๐Ÿ™‚ xx

3. Alison March 26, 2013 at 20:09 #

I have been dreaming about going to Maine for a while now. I think I first fell in love with the idea of Maine reading the book ‘Sarah Plain and Tall’ probably in elementary school. Of course, I was also raised on the afore-mentioned ‘Blueberries for Sal’ book. I have also heard that Maine is basically the Washington of the East Coast not only in terms of being north, but also somewhat in attitude, so hopefully you’ll be able to find something that is reminiscent of Seattle!

• Elle March 26, 2013 at 23:33 #

My husband also told me that coastal Maine reminds him of Seattle but with him saying it, I didn’t really believe him. However, you telling me that makes a difference! ๐Ÿ˜‰

4. Lindsey March 27, 2013 at 09:52 #

Mainer here…don’t be scared! Coastal Maine is different than interior Maine…yes there will be snow but it definitely isn’t of snowed in for the winter up past your windows proportions. And winter does end and the other three seasons are simply gorgeous! Plus Maine is great for kids…sledding, skiing, blueberry and apple picking, picking out and cutting down your own Christmas tree (if you celebrate) hay rides and sleigh rides and tractor rides, no matter what time of year it is there’s something to do. Plus Mainers are usually great at being friendly and welcoming, you’ll have new people showing you all the fun stuff to do in no time!

• Elle March 28, 2013 at 23:20 #

Thank you so much, Lindsey! xx