*Real Quick… I’ve been using the nickname hummingbird for my daughter and of course the hubby for who else? My hubby. I’ll still call them that but I’d like to use regular names for them from time to time. Because of my anonymity, needless to say, I can’t do that. So, you get to pick the name I’ll use for them in future posts.
For the “fake name” choices, they are Poppy and Ava for the hummingbird. For the husband, it’s Ryan (for Ryan Gosling, of course) or Eric. Vote in the comments!
Fine. This is getting away from my regular bitching and snark and may be too sickly sweet for some people. If that happens, drink a shot of tequila every time you see the word “love”, even if you’re at work. I counted 9, by the way, including “lub”. But I could be wrong as math was and will always be my worst subject.
Here are some of the things that the hummingbird currently does that pull on my heartstrings.
1. I love how she doesn’t quite know how to say her F’s yet. She’ll say “my pinger” or “are you making pood?” Or when she asks me “mommy, why did you just say “pucker?” while I’m driving.
2. How she gets so excited by the smallest things. I bought her a few pairs of sunglasses at Gymboree last month and as we were walking back to the car, she told EVERYBODY she passed that “mommy bought me sunglasses!”
3. I love that I can easily make her laugh.
4. I love how when I call her a stinker, she says “I’m not a stinker, I’m hummingbird”. Subs with her real name, of course.
5. As many mommy fuck-ups I feel like I have, she has so much patience and love for me.
6. She says “I lub you!”
7. I love how she picks her outfits out by herself and love seeing what she comes up with.
8. She seems to look at the world with so much joy and hope. It helps me to look past the bad.
9. How she greets me when I pick her up at preschool.
10. I love how silly she is and her sense of humor.
11. I love that I helped create this incredible and beautiful person and still can’t believe that she came from my body. Am I the only one that still thinks that’s so weird? That you actually create a person. Even after 4 years, it’s still is something that’s hard for me to believe. My mind will always be boggled by that.
I think it’s so important to take a look at the things we love about our children because in everyday life, it’s so easy to get caught up in bullshit and we forget to see the wonderful side of our little hummingbirds.
What’s the first thing that comes to mind that makes you crazy in love with your children?
Now to clear your palate. From The King’s Speech. Love!