A two minute break… it never fails.

railroad1Whenever I try to do anything, I can always trust that my 4 year-old daughter will be there to ask tons of questions. Most of the questions seem unrelated to me but I’m sure in her mind, it all makes sense.

It’s kind of like when the hummingbird carried a camera tripod 2 floors up, from the basement to the bedroom recently. We had no idea why she’d do that and it didn’t make any sense. But then I took a step back and looked at the tripod from her view.

After she talked about wanting to go camping, I realized she was using the camera tripod, in her pretend play, as a campfire.

I thought that was pretty clever of her.

Her: Mommy? MOMMY??

Me: In here!

Her: Mommy? What are you doing? Where’s my pink shirt with the stars? Hurry up, mommy… can you braid my hair? Where’s my brush? I can’t find a barrette.

MOMMY? Where did my brush go? Oh! I found my pink shirt. Mommy, I’m stuck! Help, Mommy, Help!

Me: Come here, then!

Her: *walks in with shirt stuck over head* I want to wear my pink shirt now.

Me: But you just changed 5 minutes ago.

Her: Please… just for a little bit. *brings up hand and puts 2 fingers a few inches a part*

Me: No, sweetie. Why don’t you save that for tomorrow.

Her: Please. Just a little bit?

Me *why does she have to be so damn cute?!* Okay, you can.

Her: Yay! Can you braid my hair now. No, I want a ponytail instead.

Me: Just give me a minute.

Her: But I REALLY need a ponytail now. Here’s my brush. Can I have two braids instead? I want to wear my purple barrette. I’m getting hungry. Can you get a snack for me mommy… please?

Me: Yes, just give me one minute.

Her: Okay… yay! Can I have goldfish? What’s tomorrow? When are we going to Target? What’s for dinner tonight? Do you know where my Cinderella dress is? I want to wear my purple headband. Have you seen it?

MOMMY…. I can’t find it. Where’s my purple headband?

Can we go bicycle? I want to ride across the railroad tracks. Can we, mom? Are Olivia and Jeremy home yet? I want to ride with Olivia. Can we go by their house?

Please help me put my Cinderella dress on.

Me: Okay, but put your shirt back on because the dress will be itchy.

Her: But I don’t want to wear that shirt anymore. It got a tiny bit of water on it. I’ll just wear my dress.

Me: I know you’ll need your shirt back on so let’s just do that before you put on the dress.

Her: I’ll be fine. *puts on dress* Thank you.

Mommy? Mom? My dress is itchy. Can you help me take it off?

I know. I’ll wear my shirt under it. Can we go now? Can I watch Peppa later? When is Saturday? Do I go to school tomorrow? Are you almost done?

Mommy?

Can I have some root beer? Just a little bit?

Please?

~the kind of conversation that usually takes place in the 2 minutes when I try to pee

*You’ve Changed

, , , , ,

13 Responses to A two minute break… it never fails.

1. siggiofmaine August 20, 2013 at 14:56 #

I remember those days…
    I often wondered why all mothers weren’t constipated or have bladder problems !

You did an awesome piece of writing capturing the feel of the conversation.

Peace
    Siggi
    siggiofmaine recently posted..Carpe Diem #275, Longing for the UnknownMy Profile

• Elle September 7, 2013 at 00:12 #

Thanks, Siggi! x

2. Alison August 20, 2013 at 15:08 #

Well that hits a little close to home! My boy likes to re-phrase his questions about 5 times before answering himself instead of waiting for me to respond. Which or course means I tend to space out occasionally instead of actually hearing the question so when he really does want a response I’m not prepared! Four-year olds!

3. Jennifer August 20, 2013 at 15:35 #

This is so my life! ha. I now try to think like 16 steps ahead of my daughter (indigo) and have like 15 items lined up that I know she will ask for during the course of me trying to do something. I have a young son too, I also notice that when I’m trying to cook dinner that both of my kids try to occupy the same 3 sq ft I’m working in even though my house is 3000sq feet.
    Jennifer recently posted..Indigo turns FIVEMy Profile

• Elle September 7, 2013 at 00:14 #

So true. I think they do that on purpose. 😀

4. Marianna Annadanna August 21, 2013 at 15:13 #

Oh my god. She’s adorable but holy fuck. So far my conversations with Fraggle are mostly one-sided.
    Marianna Annadanna recently posted..Let’s be honest – what it’s like to have a newbornMy Profile

• Elle August 21, 2013 at 21:19 #

Lol! I couldn’t wait until the hummingbird started talking. Now, she talks, and talks, and talks. She even talks when we’re not even in the same room as her. Who she’s talking to is anyone’s guess. Ha!

• Elle September 7, 2013 at 00:15 #

Ha!

These conversations with the hummingbird make me so twitchy!

5. LeeAnne Curtis August 21, 2013 at 20:18 #

HMMM – wonder where she got it? I was told that when you had children, you gave up ALL the rituals you had before, such as peeing, brushing your teeth, taking a LONG bath (I heard you were lucky to get a quick swipe from the washcloth!), and all those other little things we ladies like to do!! But, don’t worry…in just a few short years (8 to be exact) she will be 12 going on 20 and you will miss these special conversations!!!
    LeeAnne Curtis recently posted..Appliqued Witches Boots Zebra Bubble for Infant Girls! by LeeannesCreationsMy Profile

6. monica August 21, 2013 at 22:42 #

seriously. I could HEAR this taking place. my four year old never closes her mouth. ever. except when she’s asleep.
    monica recently posted..Thanks, hubby. Now we are all gonna die.My Profile

• Elle September 7, 2013 at 00:16 #

Lol! They’re at their cutest when sleeping. LOL!