I thought the hummingbird was finally out of the why stage but it’s come back with a vengeance. I know she’s just curious and I should be more than happy to answer all of her why questions but it can drive me up the wall. Just today, I went to get blood work done and on the way to the clinic, she was full of questions.

My 4 year-old has also become quite the backseat driver. I answer her questions as best as I can but after awhile, I want to bang my head against a spike. I don’t know if it’s just little girls or if boys are just as “talky”.

Why do I have to wear my coat?

Why did you just make that noise *sighs*?

Where’s the sun?

Why aren’t there any cars?

Why is that car going slow?

Why are we stopping?

Why are we going this way?

Why aren’t we taking the highway?

Why are you slowing down?

Are you lost?

Why are you lost?

Mommy, are you lost?

Why did you just say “shhh”?

Why are we turning around?

Why are we stopping?

Are we at the clinic?

Why did you yawn?

Where’s the door?

Why did the door open by itself?

Can I play?

I need a tissue.

Why are the tissues sitting like that?

Why are they sideways?

Are we leaving now?

Why are we leaving?

Why are you turning the car around?

This isn’t the way home.

Is this the way home?

Why are you slowing down?

What’s that car doing?

Are you going the wrong way?

Why are we speeding up?

Are we home yet?

I’m hungry.

*Head Explodes*

*Radioactive

, , , , , , , ,

12 Responses to If I hear “why?” one more time, my head will explode and the hummingbird will grow up with a headless mother and that would really suck.

1. Rachel November 12, 2013 at 12:48 #

My 3yo son talks non-stop. Not many questions yet, but just chattering and I am supposed to respond. He also expects me to stop as soon as we see a red light and freaks if we keep going until we reach it before stopping. Errands are exhausting with this talking and usually, by the time we get home, I am ready for a drink.

• Stephanie November 29, 2013 at 14:46 #

My son used to do that, too. My husband and I were used to it, but Grandma was not. Until the day we were in her van, a good quarter mile from the light that had just turned red, when my son yelled stop at the top of his lungs. Yeah, fun times.

2. Triplezmom November 12, 2013 at 17:06 #

My oldest is almost 9. She hasn’t really shut up yet. And she and the 7 year old still question everything, but now it’s things like, “What is neuroscience? Why do you have to think about whether I can sleepover at Jessica’s? Why aren’t you going to the grocery store that gives out cookies?” I wish I had some great advice but all I can say is that wine is good.
    Triplezmom recently posted..Teaching Tuesday: Ace Your Parent Teacher ConferenceMy Profile

3. Tess @ Tips on Life and Love November 12, 2013 at 18:00 #

Haha, this is hilarious! I feel like as we get older, we become more afraid of asking questions, and this is something that only becomes more important in life. Half the battle is not only having questions, but knowing which ones to ask.
    Tess @ Tips on Life and Love recently posted..C-Sections: A Matter of Doctors’ Convenience?My Profile

4. monica November 12, 2013 at 21:03 #

I totally get it!!! so my life right now. my five year old talks NON-STOP. I love her immensely, but it can be exhausting. in fact, I have four kids and THREE of them talk non-stop. it’s really insane. I blame hubby. he’s quite chatty. ;o)
    monica recently posted..Would you believe me if I told you it was Netflix’s fault?My Profile

5. Meredith @badsandy.com November 13, 2013 at 13:39 #

Motherhood would be perfect if only it came with a remote control. I’d press that “Mute” button every time I heard the word “why…?”

xo
    Meredith

6. Lisa November 13, 2013 at 17:57 #

Oh, it is definitely not a girl thing. My son was a talker, and I mean T-A-L-K-E-R. Don’t even get me started on the questions that were fired at me on a daily basis. Hang in there.

7. Domonique Powell November 13, 2013 at 20:27 #

I totally understand…LMAO That is my daughter all day every day. She has ADHD but I am trying not to keep her medicated. I bet her teachers wish I would though. LOL

8. Angie November 13, 2013 at 20:55 #

I have the same problem in my house! My daughter is so quiet in public, but at home she never stops talking.
    Angie recently posted..First 10K!My Profile

9. Athena November 15, 2013 at 15:04 #

I was going to say, before reading it through, that I generally like it when kids get interested in the why-and-how-comes of the world. But, after reading this little sample I was already starting to go, “holy crap kiddo, take a chill pill….” She is definitely HIGHLY curious about everything. I feel for you! Still, it’s important that you start chatting with her about questions and overwhelming questions in a rapid-fire mode, because some kids really don’t grow out of this kind of thought process. That’s how we get the scientists, the sociologists, and anthropologists! They never stop asking “why” we do everything that we do! 😉

10. Sarah November 16, 2013 at 23:31 #

My three year old is full force with the “why?” questions. She asks why to everything. And then when I tell her that I don’t know, she says, “Just tell me, Mama! It will be easy!” Oh my goodness, I just want to make it stop sometimes.
    Sarah recently posted..Coming to a crossroadMy Profile

11. Stephanie November 29, 2013 at 14:50 #

My daughter is 5, and God forbid I take a different way to ANYTHING! She has memorized the routes to all of our common stops and will not hesitate to point out if I’m going the “wrong” way. And when I explain that I know where I’m going and that there’s more than one way to get there? That’s when I get the endless questions about why exactly I would need to take a different route. Maybe I could get her to write routes for Google Maps and have her earn her keep.