What’s For Lunch?

School is starting very soon for the little hummingbird and I’ve been trying to come up with a little more variety with her lunches. Since she’s such a picky eater and usually eats very little, some of the food she likes is a lot to be desired.

Like lunchables. I would cave every now and then if she wanted one but soon, that’s all she would want for lunch.

I’m trying to help her adopt healthy eating habits but it can be hard since she’s tiny and needs whatever calories she can get (per her doctor). So, my 5 year-old and I compromised and now I’m making “homemade” lunchables.

The only meat that she’ll give a chance are hot dogs, pepperoni, and chicken nuggets. Even then, it’s iffy. And while she’s always loved fruit, I’ve been adding more veggies and for the most part, as long as she can drench it in ranch dressing, she’ll give vegetables a chance.

Here are some of the lunches so far:

l to r: cucumbers, grapes, crackers, sharp cheddar, ranch dressing in container.

l to r: grapes and blueberries, cucumbers, crackers, sharp cheddar, ranch dressing in container.

cashews and craisans, snap peas and cucumber, applesauce, cheese pizza,  ranch dressing for veggies.

cashews and craisans, snap peas and cucumbers, applesauce, cheese pizza, ranch dressing for veggies.

sweet pickles, apples and blueberries, goldfish, peanut butter and honey sandwich, caramel dipping sauce in container.

sweet pickles, apples and blueberries, goldfish, peanut butter and honey sandwich, caramel dipping sauce in container for apples.

homemade pizza lunchable: pizza crust, marinara sauce in container, mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, strawberries.

strawberries, craisans, colby jack cheese, pepperoni, graham cracker with peanut butter.

homemade lunchable: strawberries, craisans, colby jack cheese, pepperoni, graham cracker with peanut butter, and a somewhat hidden fruit roll up.

lh55

lh66

*What’s For Lunch? May 2012

*What’s For Lunch? June 2012

, , ,

8 Responses to What’s For Lunch?

1. monica August 13, 2014 at 11:14 #

hummus? it seemed an odd choice for our family, but my five soon to be six year old LOVES it. go figure?!
    monica recently posted..It’s either writer’s block or menopause. Either way I’ve gained 10 pounds.My Profile

• Elle August 18, 2014 at 09:47 #

Sounds good! I had a crazy olive tapenade hummus addiction last summer. lol I ate that stuff for 3 months straight. :)

2. Angie August 13, 2014 at 13:45 #

Great ideas! My oldest starts pre-k in a few weeks, and I have been mentally preparing lunches in my head. She loves pb&j sandwiches, but I am hoping to change it up a bit for school.
    Angie recently posted..The New House!My Profile

• Elle August 18, 2014 at 09:49 #

The hummingbird is like that too. She only wanted cheese sandwiches for several months but I’ve started adding things like cucumbers or sugar snap peas to her lunch, which she now loves…. but despised at first. :)

3. Naomi August 14, 2014 at 07:12 #

They have someone with food allergies at my little girl’s school, so we’re not allowed to bring our own lunches. We do half days, and I bring her home at lunch time. I try to have something in the car for her to eat. Yesterday, I brought some almonds and a banana that she demolished in the car.

She’s used to choosing her own snack, so I think she doesn’t eat much of their snacks at snack time. She’s not big into a lot of the stuff they have available like applesauce and cold cereal. She saw people putting milk on their cereal, and she poured her water into hers and didn’t like it. She likes apple slices but not the texture of apple sauce.

I really like how you cut some of Hummingbird’s food into fun shapes.

• Elle August 18, 2014 at 09:51 #

I recently found a couple Hello Kitty sandwich cutters and the hummingbird LOVES those. Whatever helps her to eat more. :)

4. Megly Mc August 16, 2014 at 13:17 #

Hey….so…can you start packing MY lunch, please? Seriously!?
    Megly Mc recently posted..Teaching…It’s Not For Sissies.My Profile

• Elle August 18, 2014 at 09:52 #

Yes, just bring some cookies. ;)