Kindergarten Hummingbird

Her first day of Kindergarten has finally arrived. Yes, I cried. I was fine… mostly… this morning. But when the school bus got here and when it was her turn to walk up the steps, the little bird looked up at me as if to say “Screw this, mom!”

After I took her hand to get her on the bus and as it drove away, I wanted to yell “OH MY GOD, MY BABY IS ON THE BUS!!” as I fell to my knees and shook my fists at the sky.

You know, for the full effect.

So, of course we had to go outside while the husband and I took a zillion photos of this first day.

Hold it together! Hold it together! Don’t cry!

1stday11

Comic relief. Her backpack is bigger than her!

1stday22

Aaaand there goes the hummingbird. Thankfully, I had a therapy appointment right after so I could sob, whine, and babble about my baby growing up… Oh wait, whining and babbling is what I do on my blog too!

1stday55

Then I had a shit load of errands to run and her soccer practice that we had to go to after she got home from school. I thought once she starts school, I would have more time. Ha!

I wanted to do something special for her when she got off the bus so I got some flowers for her… she looks less than thrilled.

unnamed (11)

Holy hell, this new schedule is such an adjustment. And she has her first soccer game this weekend. And her gymnastics class starts soon! Agghh! Fingers crossed that we don’t get in the same class as Kate Gosselin 2.0 like last time.

How have you been adjusting to school starting for your kids? Are you a new Kindergarten parent like me? Do I need to stock up on more alcohol and chocolate from all of these crazy new happenings in our schedule?

, , , , ,

9 Responses to Kindergarten Hummingbird

1. Naomi September 2, 2014 at 17:57 #

I’m a new Pre-K mom. It’s been hard. One day, she cried so hard that she had bruising under her eyes. Finally, she made some friends who sing Daniel Tiger songs to calm her down and keep her on track.

• Elle September 8, 2014 at 11:55 #

Awww, poor girl. I hope she’s doing better. 🙂

• Naomi September 11, 2014 at 16:46 #

She had a good day, so I put her in 5 days a week, mornings. Now, she hates it and dislikes one of her teachers. This happened with gymnastics until I finally got her to tell me what problem she had with the teacher and make her tell the teacher what was wrong. Now, I get the full morning of “I don’t wanna go to school!” whining until she’s in the classroom coloring with friends.

How’s Hummingbird doing with school? Is she handling it okay and eating enough?

2. Jennifer @ Also Known As...the Wife September 2, 2014 at 21:29 #

Preschool doesn’t start for us until next Monday. Right now I have zero reservations but we’ll see how I feel on Monday.

Where did you find such a big backpack for her?? My husband said it looks like there’s another kindergartener in there.
    Jennifer @ Also Known As…the Wife recently posted..Success!My Profile

• Elle September 8, 2014 at 12:01 #

Ahahaha! Yep, she’s smuggling a kid. That’s so funny! LOL!

She’s tiny, much smaller than most kids her age so the backpack looks more ginormous than it is. 🙂

We got the backpack at Target. I was hoping to use her medium size Hello Kitty backpack to put her folders and lunchbox in but it wouldn’t all fit. Plus, when winter comes, she also has to be able to fit her snow pants, snow boots, and coat into her backpack.

I can just see her now. Falling backwards from the weight of all of that stuff in her backpack. 😉

3. My Special Kind of Crazy September 3, 2014 at 10:29 #

I was just writing about how I seem to be missing the gene that makes one all weepy and emotional when my kid goes off to school. Maybe it is because I work full time and she’s been in daycare, preschool, various camps since she was 4 months old. But I didn’t get emotional and/or cry then, either.
    Probably saving it up for college. I’ll probably be a mess then.

4. Emily September 3, 2014 at 11:33 #

My baby boy just started 8th grade. He likes to remind me that “next year I’ll be in High School,” just ’cause he knows I’m not ready.

5. Paula September 3, 2014 at 14:32 #

My oldest started Kindergarten this year and I cried more than he did. Well that wasn’t hard seeing how he wasn’t crying and was coloring, but that’s not the point!! It was so hard that first day (actually the first week). It’s a lot better now, but I still have my mornings where I want to just take him with me instead of dropping him off.

6. Rachel CrazyMum September 8, 2014 at 10:32 #

My youngest child (of four) just started kindergarten last week, and the damn onion ninjas were out in force at our house. After we put him on the bus for the first time, my husband took me out for coffee in the vain hope that I would stop sniffling, but it took a while. I kept myself busier than busy. The first day to myself turned into a novelty. The second day was long and lonely. By the third morning on Friday, the onion ninjas were back. Now I have a long To Do list that I keep adding on to, so I have plenty to keep me occupied. It is very odd being at home on my own like this. I have been a SAHM since we moved over from the UK in 2003, and I’m used to having at least one Small Person around me, outside of preschool hours. I suppose I have to get used to it. Either that, or give in to the kiddies’ requests and get a puppy…