Trying to figure out what lunches to pack for the hummingbird since she started kindergarten has been a challenge. I found that her class only gets 20 minutes to eat lunch. I think that includes getting a bunch of 5 year-old’s into the cafeteria, have them sit, and unpack their lunches.
I’ve been making more of her favorites but still add a bit of variety. I’m hoping I can downgrade her eating status from extremely major picky eater that sometimes makes me want to pull my hair out because she absolutely refuses to take a tiny, little bite of something new to major picky eater.
Apple Slice Cookies
I made these for the hummingbird recently and she loved them.
1. Cut an apple into slices (I took the skin off… per my kid’s request).
2. Soak the sliced apple in 1 cup water with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice for
5 minutes to prevent browning.
3. Take out of water and blot dry.
4. Spread with any nut butter you prefer. (That made me giggle. Yes, I’m 12)
4. Add toppings. I used cashews and mini chocolate chips… or any topping you prefer;
pecans, sliced almonds, coconut, craisans, etc.
What was your favorite and least favorite lunch as a kid?
Sometimes, I would bring my lunch to school but would always look forward to pizza day. It was like the rock star of school lunch days. In junior high, I was obsessed with the salad bar and would have a salad and baked potato every. single. day.
My least favorite lunch was when my mom would put a banana in my lunch box. EVERYTHING would end up tasting like a banana (my sandwich, potato chips… ick) and to this day, I don’t care for them.