My daughter is a tiny girl with a little appetite. Every once in a while she’ll chow down but it’s not often. She always, always, always has some reason why she won’t eat (as do many kids) and it drives me mad. She’ll come home from Kindergarten, say she’s STARVING, and will take just a few bites of her snack before she says she can’t eat another bite.
Then, an hour before dinner, I usually hear: Mom, I’m hungry. Mom, I’m hungry. Mom, I’m hungry. Well, you should have eaten your snack. But, I wasn’t that hungry then. It will be dinner soon. You’ll have to wait until then. But mooom, I’m hungry. Mom, I’m hungry. Mom, I’m hungry.
Finally, dinner will come and again, she’ll use every excuse in the book to not eat. The hummingbird is currently in a phase where every little scratch or bump is a major medical emergency so she’s been using those reasons a lot. There are many times when I want to scream JUST EAT!
I kind of feel like a hostage negotiator.
Me: Eat three more bites.
Hummingbird: How about one?
Me: No, three and then you can have a little treat.
Hummingbird: Can I still have a treat if I eat two more bites?
Hummingbird: But my tummy’s full.
Me: Then I guess you don’t have any room in there for a treat.
Hummingbird: How about one big bite?
Me: No. How about if you just take two more bites?
Hummingbird: But I just took a bite. Does that count?
Me: No. Two more bites.
Hummingbird: But then that will be three bites because I just had one.
Me: *Head Explodes*
Reasons My Kid Won’t Eat
10. I’ve got a scratch on my pinky and need a band-aid. Now, it hurts too much to pick up my fork.
9. I’m too tired.
8. I banged my foot on the stairs and broke my ankle.
7. My tummy’s tired.
6. I poked my finger in my eye and need ice.
5. Do you want a hot dog for dinner? Yes! Are you sure? Yes! Will you eat it? Yes! Sets her plate down. I don’t want a hot dog anymore. My tummy changed its mind.
4. I can’t eat because my leg hurts when I bend it. I think I broke my knee. Well, then don’t bend your leg. But I need a band-aid to make it feel better.
3. I didn’t want that plate.
2. I’m too cold to eat. Go put on a jacket. *Runs upstairs and comes back down a few minutes later in a whole new outfit… minus the jacket.* I’m still cold. Yes, because you forgot your jacket. Oh. *Puts on jacket.* Now I’m too hot.
1. I hurt the blood vessels in my foot.