Hyperemesis Gravidarum

Since I had hyperemesis gravidarum with my first pregnancy, with the little hummingbird, I’ve called it “that Harry Potter sounding spell”. I’ve since had it with each pregnancy and let me say this.

It is NOT “bad morning sickness”.

HG isn’t anywhere in the same category. One of the ways that I’ve tried to describe it to my husband is that it’s like comparing a paper cut on your finger to breaking your hand.

I much rather refer to hyperemesis gravidarum as extreme pregnancy sickness. Not that morning sickness is a walk in the park but HG is horrible and something I wouldn’t wish on anyone.

While I was thankfully never hospitalized for it, last year when I was pregnant, it was agony for many months. The only thing that I could really keep down was iced tea lemonade and I remember how my ob/gyn became really concerned when I lost over 10 pounds in just a few weeks.

As far as my experience with it, something as simple as water is completely and utterly repulsive when you have HG. Even smelling water was horrible. Yes, water had a smell to me.

Sounds and movement even aggravate HG. Like when I would lay on the couch and my daughter would hop around by me. I would be in agony. Or I would still be in bed and my husband would be talking to the hummingbird and his deep voice would seem amplified and actually make me sick.

Hyperemesis gravidarum is like when you drink too much and get the spins and say “I’m never drinking again”. But instead, you have this awful motion sickness feeling 24/7 for several months.

Pregnancy should be such a happy time. Being excited about seeing the beautiful life that you’ve created and hopeful when it comes to the future with your child.

Every single day, I felt like I wanted to die when it came to having HG. Sure, I thought I would die because of how sick I felt. But at times, I would think being dead would be much better than dealing with the day-to-day sickness that was completely overwhelming when it comes to having hyperemesis gravidarum.

The so-called “happy time” in my life was such a nightmare for me. I tried everything possible to help with this awful pregnancy sickness. I’m allergic to the more common anti-nausea medication but would take another kind and still, it did very little to ease the HG.

Nothing helped my issue with hyperemesis gravidarum.

I have given so much thought when it comes to having another child because of dealing with hyperemesis gravidarum. It’s truly the hardest decision I’ve had to make. Especially with having a 6 year-old to care for.

Despite wanting to have another child more than anything in the world, having HG with my last pregnancy was more brutal than the previous times and that concerns me.

Time is ticking away to try one last time. I’ve been trying to convince myself that it will be perfectly fine if I just have one child. It makes me feel ungrateful at times to want another, especially when so many people go through heartache and many years to try for a baby.

But honestly, I long to have another child… even if it means my head will be in the toilet for 9 months.

, , , , , ,

6 Responses to Hyperemesis Gravidarum

1. Denise June 26, 2015 at 15:21 #

If/when you get pregnant have your MD/CNM prescribe Diclegis for you. BEFORE you start getting sick. Don’t wait. Start early. Stay on it. Best wishes. d

2. Blue July 5, 2015 at 22:01 #

I hear you. I was soooooo sick. I was lucky that a specialist was near by and they worked with me. My first doc told me to suck it up and I was furious. I couldn’t do it again, having it and the. Ending up with a colic baby and ppd from all the stress. Never again. I still get jealous of friends who are “good” at pregnancy.

3. Brandy July 12, 2015 at 17:09 #

I never got titled with that fun latin-ish name up there but I was severely sick during my pregnancies. So much so, that with my first I was in the ER 3 times the first 5mths and constantly on an IV drip. The weirdest part for me is that I still had the food cravings. I would devour large amounts of food only to puke them up later. It was like that all the way til the end of each. I have since been fixed and if I ever do suddenly get the “aww babies!” feeling again, I’d like to think adoption as an option? lol
    Brandy recently posted..Oh, I am full of the random b.s. these daysMy Profile

4. Joanna July 24, 2015 at 17:02 #

Lurker here. I had horrible HG with my daughter and every damn day counted how many more days until my due date so the ordeal would be over. I couldn’t remember from day to day because I was so sick. Thank goodness she was three weeks early. I also debated whether to have child #2. But I was dealing with aging, sick parents and realized that caregiving as a singleton is so difficult so I took the plunge again. I didn’t get sick, not even a wee bit and had a healthy boy on his due date. I know that everyone is different but every pregnancy can be different as well. Take heart. If you really, really want another genetically related child, don’t rule it out.

5. bree July 29, 2015 at 11:43 #

oh I feel your pain. I was diagnosed both pregnancies. Luckily baby number two was a boy and it was a tad bit easier than those baby girl hormones (if that’s a real thing). I was on anti-nausea medication for both babies and it was helpful. Still felt awful, but I was determined not to puke in front of my students as I am a teacher.
    Baby number two was a little surprise bundle, otherwise I am pretty sure I would be in your exact shoes. It was a huge determining factor in not having a third.
    Still to to this day watermelon hand soap makes me gag… six years later. It was the worst time of my life. I remember thinking… I’ve changed my mind, I don’t want to have a baby.

6. Michelle August 15, 2015 at 10:47 #

Hello – I just happened to find this blog via my favorite blogger ever (Bloggess) and it’s so interesting to find this post about HG. I also suffered with it through 3 pregnancies and people who haven’t experienced this simply cannot understand. Pregnancy was physically the hardest thing I’ve ever done. I’m posting only to offer precious knowledge I gained on the third pregnancy…ginger. Seriously – ginger. It’s so simple that you can’t imagine it will work, but it does. Big Pharma doesn’t want you to think that herbs and natural remedies can possibly work as well as a pill, but they lie!

I took ginger capsules every day and while I still suffered, it decreased the number of times per day I had to barf and noticeably took the edge off the nausea. It made it bearable.

If you decide to take the plunge, I send my best wishes to you, fellow HG-suffering woman. I hope you have a much easier time and get a healthy baby at the end. 🙂