This recipe is an “Oh My God, This Is Amazing” good. Not only is it meatless, it can also be made vegan AND my meat-eating caveman husband loves it. The very picky hummingbird says it’s her favorite dinner that I make. Well, knock me over with a feather.
We eat this open-faced since it can be pretty messy and let me tell you, the spiciness of the bbq baked beans and the coolness of the coleslaw makes your taste buds have an orgasm and give your stomach a great big hug.
- 1 bag of coleslaw or broccoli slaw
- 1/2 cup light mayo or vegan mayonnaise (veganaise)
- 2-3 tablespoons of sugar (depending on how sweet you prefer it)
- 2-3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 2 cans pinto beans
- 1 bottle barbecue sauce
- hamburger buns
- Preheat oven to 365 degrees.
- In a small bowl whisk together mayo, sugar, vinegar, and poppy seeds. Pour the dressing over the coleslaw. Mix to coat and place in refrigerator to chill while beans cook.
- Drain pinto beans and rinse. Place in casserole dish and mix with bbq sauce. Cover with foil and cook for 40 minutes.
- Put beans on bun and top with coleslaw.